Chapter 7

Yegor Tupulov tossed the paper aside. He was indifferent to the reasons behind his employer's request. Meet the subject. Get the information. Report back. Job done. His former days in the Russian mob as an enforcer made him the perfect choice for Creighton's need.

Yegor had left the mob, his enthusiasm for the job had waned and on a whim he chose to open a Coney Island food stand. When patrons were charged extra for any condiments on hot dogs or hamburgers the business failed miserably. His refusal to change ended his enterprise in the first year.

Yegor wasn't particularly moved by the failure, he accepted it for what it was, a dabble in capitalism that proved to him it wasn't his forte, so he returned to enforcement . . . freelance.

"His name is Ralph Garber," Dennis handed the man a slip of paper. "That's his address. I want the names of everyone he is doing business with then I want you to explain to him that he will no longer be doing that business. After that, track down his contacts and find out their game. We'll decide later what to do about them."

Dennis prayed Karl would stay out of it this time until there was something concrete to move on. His boys had already spoken to Betz, the attack on the business was just unnecessary overkill.

"I have time?"

"The sooner the faster. Just don't make it messy. We'll leave the muscle until we know more."

"Is good."

"Huh, what's good?"

"Plan."

"Oh . . . yeah. Okay I'll expect a report quickly."

"Da."

As the auction house was emptying for the day, David's phone rang and he was stunned and surprised to hear Crawford DeLysle asking to speak with him

As the auction house was emptying for the day, David's phone rang and he was stunned and surprised to hear Crawford DeLysle asking to speak with him. David listened as Portia's father described a conversation he had with his daughter.

David confirmed all his suspicions and reservations about Roland's deal, leading Crawford to relate his own situation with his client at Cardinal Imports and his unpleasant interview with the police.

"As I'm sure you know, my daughter has a penchant for involving herself in circumstances that would be better left to the proper authorities. My concern is that her involvement with you has generated another of her ill-conceived campaigns."

David felt chagrined at the implied reprimand and replied in kind, that it was Crawford's daughter who brought it up with suspicions she had heard from her bother.

"She mentioned that . . . you're right. I apologize if you think I am blaming you. I- she- since my wife passed-"

"Please, sir, it's not necessary. Portia is a force all her own and frankly, I think she is fortunate to have a father who is as understanding as you."

Crawford gave a helpless chuckle. "If only. As it is, I am pleased she has you as a friend, David. She has spoken highly of you in the past. perhaps some time we could meet . . ."