Chapter 4

Portia spun slowly in front of the mirror watching the fringe bottom of her dress dance and sway with the motion. Rodney poured a snifter of brandy and observed her distractedly.

"You think it's too short, Rodney?"

"Everything looks good on you, love."

"Something wrong, you sound sad?"

"Just business"

"Is there trouble?"

The look answered without words.

"You know he does what he thinks best for the business, Rodney. You need to stand up to him a little more, dear brother. Let him know you have a brain and ideas too."

"Bit of pot and kettle there wouldn't you say?"

"The difference, Rodney, is I don't care about father's approval. I love him and I know he loves me - both of us - but my life is my life."

"Except when you need rescuing."

Portia lowered her face and smiled, stepping close and planting a soft peck on his cheek. "That's what big brothers do."

"Yes . . . all too often." He drained the snifter and set it on the drinks table. "So, what mischief are you planning today in your new dress?"

"Lunch with David at the Mirage."

"David?"

"David Ashby, he works at Trevor Auctions.

"Father's client has some dealings with them."

"One of our clients you should be saying, brother - not father's, you're part of the firm you know."

"Difficult to imagine some days. I think it's one of our clients that prompted his recent concern."

"With Trevor Art and Auction?"

"Don't be getting into your snoopy mode, dear sister."

Portia gave him a sidelong glance and an impish smile. "Cheer up, brother, maybe I can liven up your day before it's over."

"God forbid."

The Mirage dining room was in a small hotel and a popular getaway for intimate business meetings and the fact they served discrete drinks

The Mirage dining room was in a small hotel and a popular getaway for intimate business meetings and the fact they served discrete drinks. A divider separating the small marble table from the more lush banquettes allowed Portia and David to enjoy their dish of starters in privacy.

"You chose this place so you could drink, didn't you? Figured I would say no to one of your regular gin mills."