Chapter 8

David stood, stone-faced through Portia's recital and when she finished he was too flustered to speak. Instead, he went to his cupboard and took down a bottle of illegal Canadian Club whisky, poured a dangerous, pony glass full and downed it with a groan and a screwed up expression.

"We can just tell him what we think, David."

"Oh can we!" His voice scraped. "I warned you about meddling. About who these people were. They don't listen, Portia, they tell!"

The twenty minutes from Flo's call to the knock on the door was filled with ranting, rebuttals and no plan whatsoever of what to do.

"Uh- who is it?" David approached the door cautiously.

"Portia DeLysle."

"Excuse me?"

"I'm wish to speak with this woman. Open door."

David did and stepped back as the man entered. The face was void of expression and the scar that ran through the lower lip gave the appearance of impatience.

"Where is woman?"

"I'm Miss DeLysle," Portia said confidently, stepping forward with her cigarette holder waving uncertainly in front.

Yegor snatched it away and threw it down. "I don't like smoke. You went to make deal with Garber man at gallery."

"Oh, Jesus . . ." David sank back down in his chair.

"And if I did, just who are you to come here and behave so despicably?"

"I am man who will get answer to my question."

"Dee, for God's sake co-operate." David sat back as the man glanced his way."

"Very well, yes, I saw your Mr. Garber at the gallery. We discussed the possibility of a purchase." Portia retrieved her holder from the floor and boldly inserted a fresh cigarette.

"I said no smoke."

"And I say I will do as I please in my own home. I answered your question so be kind enough to see yourself out."

David closed his eyes and Portia stood dead still, shaking inside like a cocktail mixer. The silence went on for a minute then Yegor slowly raised his finger and pointed it at her.

"You will tell where you get money then I go."

"My source of income is none of your business or that of whoever sent you here. And if that answer isn't satisfactory tell your boss to come and ask himself."

A groan seeped from David as he peered at them through his fingers. Yegor stood still, a semblance of a smirk on his odd lips as he nodded slowly.

"You are some Tyolka

"You are some Tyolka."

Portia lifted her chin smugly.

"I speak with employer but I may be back and then not so pleasant." He left, closing the door quietly.