Chapter 2

"Portia this behaviour of yours has to stop, you are not a child anymore." Rodney DeLysle shouldered his way past the throng in front of the police sergeant's desk.

"Oh for heaven's sake, Rodney you sound like father. It's not like we murdered somebody."

"You are breaking the law, Portia and I can't keep coming down here and getting you and your friends out of trouble."

"I promise I won't call you again if I get into trouble. Now can we get out of here?"

"My car is outside." Rodney signed the necessary form then he and the two women made a vee and forced their way through the crowd to the doors.

"You're a peach, Rodney, can you drop us at Flo's?"

Twenty minutes later the women stood on the sidewalk outside the brownstone and watched Rodney's car pull away, the silhouette of his head framed in the rear window.

"Sorry he couldn't help Cal but I'm sure he'll be fine. A night in the cooler to sleep it off won't hurt."

"You want to stay over, it's pretty late."

"Thanks, Flo but I think I'll grab a taxi. I just didn't want to drive home with Rodney alone and listen to his lectures, and I want a good shower after that jailhouse. I'll call you in the morning." Portia kissed her friend's cheek and walked toward the main street to find a taxi.

Crawford DeLysle snapped the newspaper pages and tried to concentrate on the contents, but his daughter wasn't making a sound as she ate breakfast and he found the silence agitating

"Portia, please defend your actions of last night."

"Well, you're Honour–"

"Without your perceived, witty sarcasm, darling."

"I was out with friends doing what half the city - hell, half the country–"

"Without the profanity as well please." He put the paper aside and leaned an arm on the table. "In the last three months alone you have been arrested twice for the same transgression and nearly got yourself killed intervening in some total stranger's financial problems."

"His financial problem was being shaken down by mobsters for all the profits his little store made. And he wasn't a total stranger, I bought my cigarettes there regularly."

"Another disgusting habit you young women have acquired." Crawford sighed. "Do you not realize these places you attend are run by gangsters? Men who create the horrendous headlines with ruthless killings so they can continue supplying you with your illegal cocktails? My point is you are reckless, Portia, dangerously so and if anything happened to you after losing your mother . . ."

She stood and wrapped her arms about his shoulders. "Father, nothing will happen and both Rodney and I miss mother too. You men just keep DeLysle and Son doing well and I'll be more discrete in the future."