TWELVE

♚♚♚

Viena sat by Nairobi's side. She hadn't left since Nairobi first woke up and she hadn't slept either. The blonde was feeling the effects of tiredness but she wouldn't leave her friend. Nairobi's eyes blinked open slowly; it was evident that she was fighting to stay awake. 

"Shh," Viena cooed softly. "It's okay, just rest."

Nairobi breathed softly, her lips twitched in a slight smile. "Gracías, rubia."

The hostage and former nurse, Paquita was adjusting some of the wires attached to the machine. The older woman was kind, and despite being a hostage in a robbery, she wasn't afraid.

"Señorita Viena?" She asked in a quiet whisper. 

Viena turned her head. "Sí?"

"I'm going to the bathroom, but I won't be long."

Viena nodded her head and the woman left. 

In some ways, Viena admired the older woman. Paquita didn't ask if for permission like the other hostages would. She was brave and wasn't afraid of Viena. Maybe it was the peaceful state that Viena was in at the moment, or maybe it was because Paquita didn't see the young blonde as a threat to her.

But before Viena could ponder the thought anymore, she heard a heavy footstep behind her. In that split second, she knew it wasn't Paquita, for hers would have been softer and lighter. It had to be someone else's. Viena assumed it would be Denver or Río, or Bogotá even.

But it wasn't any of those men.

Viena turned her head at the sound and before she could place just one finger on her gun or even stand up, the head of security, Gandía, hit her on the side of the head with a hard object. Viena's eyes widened in realization of who the intruder was just as she felt something hard come in contact with her head.

Instantly, Viena fell off her chair and collapsed to the ground unconscious. 

Flashback

The heist was the next day. Viena's nerves were overpowering her, and her head was filled with obsessive thoughts. Irrational fears disturbed her mind, and the herbal tea that she was trying to drink wasn't helping. 

Everyone was upstairs trying to sleep before the big day. Everyone except for Viena and the Professor. The man was also nervous, but for other reasons, and he needed to talk to Viena about a pressing issue.

Viena lifted her head at the door that swung open. She gave the Professor a weak smile as he nervously sat down across from her.

Pushing up his glasses, he tried his best to look her in the eyes. "Viena, there's something you should know. S-something I need you to do while inside the bank."

Viena furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "What is it?"

The Professor gulped before continuing. "There's a man inside... the head of security."