NINE

♚♚♚

Flashback

When Valentina was four years old, her father taught her how to ride a bike. Pablo, Valentina's father, didn't bother to attach training wheels at first. He wanted his daughter to learn the hard way. The man did, however, hold the back of the seat as little Valentina peddled along the sidewalk in front of their house. It got her in the habit of balance, and although Pablo wouldn't care, Valentina enjoyed the time spent with him.

"I'll be right behind you." He told her.

After getting used to his aid, Pablo eventually let go of the seat, and Valentina unknowingly started to peddle by herself. The first time, she happened to look back and become so scared that she tipped over. She scraped her knee and instead of cleaning the wound, Pablo made her get right back on the bicycle and ride it again.

At four years old, she experienced betrayal for the first time. She didn't want to get back on that bike without her father's help again, so she refused his command. Pablo grabbed her by the shoulders and looked her deep in the eyes. He told her that life wasn't going to be easy, and that she would have to learn to do things herself.

"You can't expect someone to come rescue you all the time." He said. "Now, get back on that bike and ride it."

And so she did. Valentina glared at her father before jumping back on the bike, and with an uneasy feeling in her stomach she started to pedal. She made it a few feet before she tipped over again. 

"I can't do it." She mumbled.

Pablo sighed, crossing his arms across his chest. "Val, never ever give up. You hear me? Never give up."

In moments like this, Viena could feel death creeping in. Hands coated in blood, and a dear friends' life on the line; she couldn't help the internal feeling that Nairobi wasn't going to make it. The woman had lost a lot of blood and they didn't have a doctor. No matter how much training she and the others had, it would be a miracle if they could save her.

Viena pushed the rolling table down the hallway, Nairobi laying still on top of it. 

"Hang in there Nairobi." Tokio kept repeating.