ONE

♚♚♚

♚♚♚

Two men walked along a pebbled road. The brunette carried a bag of groceries and the blonde counted a roll of bills in his hands. This had become a weekly routine for Elias and Eliott Ashford. Going to the market of the village and buying groceries with money that wasn't theirs. But, they weren't buying fresh produce and meat for themselves. No, it was for their neighbor, 'Lola'.

Eliott was totally clueless and genuinely believed that was the girl's name. And Elias was able to see through the girl's facade and guess that 'Lola' wasn't her real name. Both men did come to the conclusion over the year that she was far too young to own the very expensive beach house next to theirs, and the fact that she lived alone with no one else. They knew she was hiding something, but the amount of money she gave them in compensation for their discretion, hindered their questions.

Now, 'Lola', as she went by now, was utterly alone.

Hanoi was gone.

Amaia never came.

All she had was the young married couple that lived next door. 'Lola' lived her life in solitude and she was okay with it. Not happy, not sad, just okay. And that was fine with her. Her old life of being 'Valentina Muñoz' and 'Viena' was over. It had been two years since she had used either of those names, and now, she was 'Lola'.

The sand was hot between her toes. 'Lola' sighed as she laid out the large beach blanket, planning on spending the rest of the evening gazing at the stars and listening the ocean. Surprisingly, she liked it on the small island. There were only two large houses on it, the rest filled with small neighborhoods where the natives lived and their little village. It was calm and peaceful, and the only disturbances were from Elias and Eliott, her neighbors.

'Lola' picked at her fraying jean shorts as she heard the soft giggles from Eliott behind her. The couple was engaged in a conversation, and she could see Elias with her bag of groceries. The twenty year old blonde smiled as the couple approached her, sitting down on her blanket.