06 | wrong timing, guys.

20TH OCTOBER

20TH OCTOBER.
ORION ACADEMY:
CAMPUS CAFETERIA 

SO, UM, HERE'S a suggestion--never stand up in the middle of an intense conversation saying "I have to go" in a high-pitched, squeaky voice. Because that's exactly what Aphrodite did which made her look like a liar in front of her teammates.

"What do you mean you have to go?" West asked sternly--his eyes filtering with judgement and suspicion. His bushy eyebrow arched upwards and a skeptical frown moulded on his circular face. "We were just about to discuss what part you were going to play."

A sharp gaze directed towards Aphrodite beamed from Yumi and Lex. Lex hardly ever bothered to get involved in emotions but at that point, he too was giving her unusual looks. Aphrodite chewed the inside of her mouth, trying to think of words that would convey that her step-brother happens to know something about someone he shouldn't know. She tried formulating a couple of answers but eventually settled for a little white lie. "I, um, I have a date."

Silence built in the cafeteria air. It was like everyone had stopped talking.

Nailed it. Aphrodite told herself. No follow-up questions.

Much to her disdain, Karan opened his mouth. "In the second week already?" He said with a light chuckle. "Who is it? Do we know him, her, them?"

"No, you don't. They are older than us. No more questions." She replied in one breath. She looked straight into Yumi's soul as she said, "Text me the deets later on."

Aphrodite slid her sling bag on her shoulder and took off without making eye contact with anyone. Once she was out of the cafeteria, her inner voice whispered to look back which she happily obliged to. Her eyes aimed towards the booth where the others were sitting. While Yumi, Karan and West were talking--Lex was looking straight back at her. Despite the blazing sun rays falling into Lex's eyes, he seemed unaffected. She instantly snapped her head away and walked to her destination.

She entered the campus cafeteria of the resident quarters for the third and fourth years. She couldn't identify any faces. It felt like she was entering a whole new different world. She has never felt like this before. She has been to wild parties, fancy ballrooms, lavish restaurants and even cheap cabins but she has never felt like she didn't belong. But something was different in the air of this café. Maybe she was overthinking it. Maybe she didn't want to be seen with her brother. Maybe...maybe--

Her eyes fell on Joshua waving at her. His wavy hair twisted down in front of his eyes as his face was garnished with a wide grin. Aphrodite sauntered to the booth. Unlike the couches in her quarter's cafeteria, here there were chairs so she couldn't help but flinch when the chair screeched as she pulled it out. She sat across from him.

"Hey, dumbass. How have ya been?"

Aphrodite gave him a look. "Seriously, Josh? I've been dreading what you were going to say when we meet but all you have to say is hey? We can keep the pleasantries aside and you can talk. What do you have to say? What is it about him that made you want to meet me here?"