45 | because I love you

29TH NOVEMBER

29TH NOVEMBER.
ORION ACADEMY:
CAMPUS

"WHY in the world is Lex taking so long?" Aphrodite said as they circled outside the doors of the residential quarters. She folded her arms over her chest. "Is he just showering or doing some full makeover?" Her question was directed towards Karan.

He shrugged. "I don't know. Why don't you go check it out. West, Yumi and I will revise the plan in the meanwhile."

Aphrodite huffed and charged inside. Her feet thumped on the floor as she made her way to Lex's room. She knocked on the door but when he didn't reply, she twisted the handle and walked in. She closed the door behind her and saw his room to be empty.

Karan's side was clear as the day but Lex's was untidy. His desk was messy, his clothes were scattered around. There was no noise of water coming from the bathroom yet she stepped forward and knocked on the door.

"Lex, are you in there?" All she heard was a sniff. She furrowed her eyebrows. "I'm coming in. If you're naked, cover yourself." She pushed the door open.

Lex was sitting on the edge of the bathtub--his muscular back facing her. His head was lowered. Aphrodite called him out again but he didn't respond. She stepped forward and placed her hand on his warm skin, squeezing his shoulder. She towered over him to find a red colored shower gel spread across his hand.

"Hey, Lex, talk to me."

He slowly raised his head to meet Aphrodite's eyes. His lips parted but he just made a sound. A whimper. Aphrodite grew concerned. She stepped in the bathtub and sat beside him.

"Her blood is on my hands. I can't shake the feeling," he muttered after a long pause. He stared back at the red gel as if it was Jessica's blood. Aphrodite chewed her tongue. He is struggling just as much as her. She had been so busy pushing her fears away, she completely forgot about Lex's. Just because he seemed okay, doesn't mean that he is.

"You're not responsible for her death." She caressed her hand down his smooth back. "None of us are."

"I know!" He closed his eyes. "But we got away with it. My...they blackmailed me with something and...and I am so ashamed of me. I want to tell you, Aphy but..."

"I love you, Lex Rivera!" She reminded him. "My feelings won't change regardless of what you say. I want to be there for you. I don't want you to hide things from me. Have I not made that clear?"

Lex took a deep breath. "Last year, in the semi-finals. I was drugged by one of my teammates in between a match. He was jealous of me and wanted to kick me out of the team. After we won, he made an anonymous call to the head of our school." He licked his lips. "The Principal called me, the test came out positive and my parents were called, but before I could prove my innocence and explain anything, my dad had already made a donation and asked the Principal to keep it quiet. He didn't even bother to listen to me. He didn't care if I was guilty or not. He just didn't want to tarnish his reputation.

"And...somehow The Black Hole found out about it. They blackmailed me that the whole world would know about it if I didn't do what they asked me to. At first, I thought it was something normal. A dead rat or something like that but then, I...I was ready to face the consequences until I realised that all of you were blackmailed with something. I had to protect all of you. You all are my best friends."

Aphrodite breathed. She cupped his face and made him look in her eyes. "I don't hate you," she murmured. "Instead, I love you more. You protect your friends. You look after me like I am a baby who needs babysitting. You gave me a chance even when I pushed you away. Why would you think that something this small would make me hate you? I'm sorry you had to go through this alone but we're here now. I'm not going to leave you. Ever."

She leaned in to plant her mouth on his. She kissed him softly, assuring him that she was there for him. That she could never hate him. That she would protect him too. That she was his. Because she loved him more than she loved herself.

She pulled apart and plastered a small smile. "Now, let's get you cleaned up. We have a mission to accomplish." She hooked her arm around Lex's and made him stand up along with him. As she stepped forward to turn the tap on, her feet slipped and she fell with Lex on top of her. She gulped as his strong gaze penetrated holes in her body. A jolt of energy rushed down her body and despite the cold layer of water beneath her, she was on fire. His bare skin was warm against her clothes.

She was trapped beneath him and she didn't want to squirm. His hand found its way to her face. He traced her jaw and planted his lips. And this kiss was, in no way, soft. He devoured her. She reacted quickly. And in a matter of seconds, her back wasn't the only thing that was wet.

"We should get going," she mumbled between the kisses. She didn't mean it. God, she had been aching for this even before they got together. She didn't want to go. Suddenly, finding Jessica's killer was the last thing on her mind.

Lex. Lex. Lex.

She moaned his name.

"Fuck," he said as he pulled apart. "Aphy, we can't do this. Not now." He stood up and stepped out of the tub. He extended his hand to help her get up. "To be continued. I promise."

She smiled at him.

He smiled back.

"I should get changed. I'm wet," she mumbled.

"For me?" He teased her.

"Lex!" She said, her cheeks turning red. 

header image by Dan Smedley

aren't they just adorable?

[don't forget to vote and comment!]