33 | only you

18TH NOVEMBER

18TH NOVEMBER.
THUNDERVILLE CITY.
RIVERA CITY.

THE dinner was digested. The guests were gone. The newly married couple were off for a long night drive and everyone was on their way back to their room. Aphrodite said her goodbyes to her friends and stepped into her room. She closed the door and jumped on her bed with her back against the soft mattress. She smiled at the events of the whole wedding--from her commitment to Lex to them stealing glances after that. It felt right. It felt wholesome.

She sat up, ready to change into her nightwear when her eyes fell on a pink sticky note stuck on the headboard. Meet me in the backyard at 11.30. I'll be waiting. And maybe, don't change. Lex *heart emoji*

She grinned and picked up her phone. She had just a minute left to be there on time. She slid back in her heels and rushed downstairs. In the silent mansion, the only sound that echoes throughout was of her heels hitting the floor. She picked up her pace but paused when she found Lex standing alone in the green backyard with fairy lights hanging on the trees. She was standing about a few feet away from her, her eyes bored into his.

His lips curled up.

He pressed a button on the boombox standing beside a tree. A soft, romantic song began to play. She immediately recognised the song. It was the first song they had vibed to when there alone in the car--searching for the magic shop.

She walked up to him.

"I didn't get a dance earlier. Can I get one now?" Lex extended his hand.

"Of course, Mr. Rivera." She placed her hand on his and he pulled her closer. "It will always be my honour to dance with you." She repeated the words she had heard women say in the 90s ball events to the man of their dreams. Lex slid his arm around her waist as they swung slowly to the faint rhythm and mellow lyrics. Aphrodite's heart was beating rapidly. She rested head on his chest, swaying, swaying, swaying.

"When was the first time we met?" She asked, listening to his pulsing heartbeat. "My mom said she knew you and that we didn't meet first at the academy. Do you remember?"

"Yeah. I remember the night we first met." Lex's finger drew circles on the fabric of her satin dress. Despite the many layers of clothes, she could feel his warmth. "It was my 18th birthday--last May. My mom wanted it to be grand so she went all out with the invitation. I had recently broken up Katherine back then. It was a mutual break up but I was still upset. Our breakup wasn't public yet and, um. I didn't want to get those pitiful eyes so I asked her to pretend to date me for a day more.

"The first time I saw you was when you first entered the hotel's grand ballroom. You were wearing a blue dress similar to what you're wearing right now but it had diamonds on them and had net sleeves. I had almost dropped my glass when I first caught a glimpse of you. The whole night I wanted to talk to you but someone or the other pulled me away. I had one eye contact with you and you had all my attention."

"Oh," Aphrodite smiled against his chest, wondering if he was smiling too. "I remember being forced to go to some guy's birthday party back in May. I was so distracted that night that I didn't even bother wishing you. A friend of mine was mad at me and I was worried about our friendship so Josh forced me to come along because he thought it would be an escape."

"Did it help you escape?"

"Not even in the slightest. Do you have any suggestions? What do you do when you need to escape?"

"I think about you." Aphrodite chuckled, unconvinced. He raised his hand to her chin and lifted it, making her look into his eyes. Lex's warm breath was on her face and she was desperate to feel his lips again but she stared into his vulnerable caramel eyes.

A water droplet fell on her cheeks, caressing her skin. One more fell from the sky but this time, on his lips. In a matter of seconds, the water droplets started to fall quickly, heavily--wetting their skins, their clothes. But no matter how stinging the fast water droplets were, Lex's next words healed her every wound. He pulled her closer to his face and his tender lips brushed her forehead. She closed her eyes.

"You are my escape, Aphy. Only you, always you."

I do not own or know the source of the header image

I do not own or know the source of the header image. Hence, it may be a subject to copyright.

I cried happy tears while writing this scene. my babies deserved this--especially after what's happened and what's coming. 😈