39 | she is hot. literally

trigger warning. this chapter mentions death and descriptions of getting away with a dead body. reader's discretion advised.

 reader's discretion advised

20TH NOVEMBER.
ORION ACADEMY:
ORION WOODS.

"IN all seriousness--" West shook his head, rubbing his temples. "How do you even know this?" He said after Karan was done explaining his plan and everyone's role in the same.

Karan chuckled dryly. "I grew up watching Crime Patrol and Savdhaan India. They're popular crime shows in India. My brother and I were obsessed with it." His face faltered at the mention of his brother. A bunch of memories flashed in front of his eyes. Aphrodite noticed his uneasiness.

"You are a dangerous man," Aphrodite teased.

She fucking teased him over a dead body. They all are deranged. Does anyone know a good therapist?

Karan smiled at her. "Anyway, we should get going. We have a lot to do in the next two-three hours. On to step one--" He gazed at them. "--establish our alibis."

Everyone hurdled around Jessica. They started picking up the leaves and threw them on top of Jessica to cover her underneath the pile temporarily. They were going to come back for her in less than forty five minutes. They dusted their hands and sneaked their way back to Aphrodite and Yumi's room. Each one freshened up, to look a little alive. Once everyone was freshened up to the point where they didn't look like they had just seen death, Lex pulled his phone out. He ordered three large pizzas for them while Aphrodite took a bunch of fake pictures of them having fun in their dormitory.

"Do you think these are enough?" Aphrodite questioned as she posted them on her Instagram story.

"We could always be extra safe," Karan said and grabbed his phone. He found the name he was searching for before pressing the call button. It took the other person less than two rings to answer the call. A splitting image of Karan appeared on his screen.

"Karan, beta," his mother said, a bright smile forming on her face. "Kaise ho tum? Raat ko call kiya tha par tumhe uthaya nahi. Sab thik hai na?" His mother chuckled. "Koi bahu toh nahi dhundli na?" The tiny glimmer from Karan's eyes vanquished.

{Translations: "Karan, son. How are you? I called you at night but you didn't pick it up. Is everything okay? You didn't find me a daughter-in-law, did you?}

"Um, no, Ma. I was busy. Still am. I just thought I'd call to let you know," he said. While he was occupied with FaceTiming his mom, West texted his friends from college. Aphrodite and Yumi continued taking silly videos and replying to their DMs, just to create their alibi. The door knocked and Lex opened it.

He took the pizza from the delivery expert and made a point to smile. "Thanks, man. Sorry, I don't have change. You can keep it." The man smiled gratefully at him and left. Karan ended his FaceTime with his mom. Lex threw the pizza aside and everyone scattered around to hurry for the next step.

Time for Step Two: Get away with the traces of them.

Aphrodite pulled her backpack and stuffed it with a couple of trash bags, matchstick box, extra gloves and caps and other things that they were going to need. The others began wearing latex gloves and caps. Aphrodite tied her hair in a tight bun and pulled the cap over. She glanced at Lex who was staring back at her. She gave him and Karan an assuring nod.

"Be careful," she mouthed.

"You too," Lex mumbled before Karan and he left.

Once West got a text from Karan that they successfully left the Orion Academy premises through the back roads without being seen, West, Yumi and Aphrodite made their way back to the body. It didn't take them a long time to find Jessica this time. The nauseating smell and the buzzing of the flies directed them the way to her. Aphrodite took a trash bag from her backpack and handed it to them. They scattered around and began picking up anything that had blood on it. No sooner did Lex and Karan appear with the required items collected from three different stores.

Karan and West shoved the leaves slightly away from Jessica. Lex passed Aphrodite a bottle of kerosine under her request and they poured it on Jessica and the leaves that surrounded her. Aphrodite took the matchbox from her back and directed everyone to take a step back.

"Aphy," Lex's voice was fueled with warmth and concern. "Let me do it. You don't have to go through this."

She shook her head. "No. It's only fair if I do it," she said firmly. "Step back." Lex was about to protest when West tugged his arm and whispered something in his ear. Aphrodite turned back to Jessica whose eyes were now closed. But she would never forget those doe-shaped accusing eyes. It would never leave her mind. She gave her a long gaze. Swallowing a lump of guilt down her throat, she murmured, "I'm sorry."

She flicked the matchstick and threw it on her. A flare of fire arose right in front of her.

 A flare of fire arose right in front of her

header image by Jae Park.

do you watch crime documentaries or shows? I love them. if you have any recommendations, lemme know!

{ don't forget to vote and comment}