31 | I do

18TH NOVEMBER

18TH NOVEMBER.
THUNDERVILLE CITY:
RIVERA'S HOUSE.

Aphrodite sat in front of the mirror. Her pale, sleep-deprived reflection stared back at her. She sighed, knowing that her makeup will mask her shame, guilt and hurt. She brushed a comb through her washed hair. Its bristles got tangled in her hair. She forced the comb down her hair but it only pained her scalp even more.

Nora was walking past her room when she heard Aphrodite groan. She peeped in the room to find her struggling. She frowned. "Sweetie, hold on." Lex's mother sprinted inside. She took the comb from her hand and put it away. Aphrodite remained quiet and let Nora deal with it. Nora gently entangled the hair knots with her fingers. She took the hair brush in her hand and brushed it on her hair, no tangles anymore. "Delicate matters need to be handled with care."

The way she said it almost felt like it meant something more.

"Thank you, Mrs. Rivera." She smiled that didn't reach her eyes. "You look beautiful. Red is your colour," Aphrodite said as she awed Nora's red gown.

"Oh, sweet beans, Call me Nora." Nora smiled back "I'm sorry we haven't gotten a chance to meet you and Lex's other friends. I've been so busy with the preparation. Time flies like anything." Aphrodite opened her mouth but Nora began, "Can I do your hair and makeup? I am not a stylist but it's been a while since I've done Sofie's hair. I wanna feel like a mother of a daughter for a while and forget that my oldest is getting married."

Aphrodite couldn't say no. It felt more personal now. "Sure. I'd love that." And she meant it.

Nora smiled and began with her hair. Aphrodite watched Nora move her hands gracefully as if she knew what she was doing. A tear ran down her cheek as a memory of someone popped in her mind.

"So, Aphrodite..." Nora spoke, oblivious to her tears. "I know you're a thief." She chuckled. "You've stolen my son's heart." Nora looked at Aphrodite through the mirror. Aphrodite blankly stared back.

"I, um...we...are friends."

Friends. It stung her--especially after the way Lex said it yesterday.

Every word he spoke, every flicker of rage and sorrow in his eyes, every crack in his voice was tattooed in her mind. The words echoed back in her mind all night. She couldn't sleep. She even got up late at night and waited outside Lex's room, debating whether to knock and apologise or not. Eventually she chickened out and went for a walk instead. She thought she had done the right thing but Lex wasn't wrong either. Aphrodite had been selfish with him. She kept pushing him away yet took a step closer.

"Oh., c'mon. I'm not blind." By now, Nora had commenced applying foundation on her face. "I know when my kids are in love. Have you ever noticed the way he stares at you? In a room full of the people that he knows and loves, he still searches for you."