51 | lie to me

6TH DECEMBER

6TH DECEMBER.
ORION ACADEMY:
ORION WOODS.

I am only me because of you.

Yumi collapsed on the ground. A scream resounded from someone. Aphrodite crumbled on the ground and reached for her. She scooted closer to Yumi and pulled Yumi's head on her lap. Aphrodite sucked in a sharp breath when she saw red liquid ooze from her stomach. She pressed her hands on Yumi's stomach, stopping the blood flow.

There was yelling and cries and screams hanging in the air but Aphrodite's eyes were on Yumi's stomach. The blood. The bullet penetrated into her stomach. Yumi was looking at Aphrodite. She raised her hand with a lot of effort and pressed her fingers against her chin. Yumi forced her to look into her eyes.

Aphrodite's mouth crawled no words. She simply sobbed as tears sprawled down her cheeks.

"I always knew I'd take a bullet for you," Yumi said as Aphrodite brushed her hair away from Yumi's face, refusing to look at her face. "I just didn't know it would be this early." She smiled despite the pain. She coughed and streaks of blood poured rolled out of her mouth.

"Yums, hold on!" Aphrodite whimpered. "The paramedics are on their way. Please, wait. Don't go. Not you too. We have so many things to do together. You can't quit. You can't give up on me. We have so many late night drives ahead of us. So many songs to sing, movies to watch. Please, I don't want a future without you."

Yumi's blood stained lips were twitched upwards. She looked past Aphrodite, somewhere above.

"The moon looks beautiful tonight, doesn't it? I always liked watching the moon. It never goes away. It hides on some days, but it's always there." Yumi glanced back at the girl whose arms she was lying on. "I don't belong in your future anymore. It's yours to live. I stayed as long as I could."

"No, no, no. Please, stay for longer. I need you, Yumi. I want you."

"I can't. Loving you was something I never expected--" Yumi coughed."--but it was beautiful. You could never be mine, not the way I wanted but I will always be yours." Aphrodite caressed her face with her tender fingers. "I know you probably won't mean it but I want to hear those words. It would be perfect to die in your arms--just like in the movies. Please say the words I've been wanting to hear. Lie, Aphrodite. Lie to me."

"I--I love you, Yumi Cho."

Yumi smiled as her eyes began to close. With a last glance at the baby blue eyes, the warmth from her body radiated away. Yumi's hand fell down from Aphrodite's cheek.

"Yumi," Aphrodite croaked and pulled her closer. She hugged her tightly, desperate to remember her touch, her smell, her doe eyes and soft curve of her smile. She absorbed every feature of Yumi's small face. A flashback followed. Words were echoed. And the gunshot was heard again. Aphrodite didn't bother to look up and see if it was just her mind. She buried her face in Yumi's neck, muttering words that even she couldn't make sense of.

I am only me because of you.

header image by Ganapathy Kumar

are you crying? cuz I sure am.

side note: due to some personal reasons, I am afraid I won't get a chance to upload anything for the next two weeks so I thought it would be for the best to finish updating today itself. the next two chapters + acknowledgements will be up by the end of the day.

{don't forget to vote and comment!}