Six

You have got to be kidding me! Nicholas freaking Clayton is my teacher?

No can do.

Oh shoot! Did that jerk mention anything about that incident to Agnes?

While the thoughts were flooding my head, Agnes was called upon by some guy in a suit and moustache, leaving me, Nicholas and a group of girls standing in a corner.

Awkward...

I caught Nicholas staring at me, with a smirk plastered all over his face as he raised the glass of wine to his lips. His intense stare burned into me. My hands turned sweaty and my heart started to beat at a faster rate, to the point where I could feel it throbbing against my ribcage.

Not wanting to cause a commotion, I quickly returned by attention to the plate I was holding, gobbling whatever food that was on the platter. I was in no way, going to let his good looks sway me.

"A pity," he said, prompting me to tear my eyes away from the plate of food, "A damsel dressed so beautifully, yet with a such repulsive character. A real pity."

"Same to you. It's such a waste for a gentleman to have such lamentable conduct." I rolled my eyes at him and shifted my gaze upon a group of desperate girls, trying to catch Nicholas' attention by clinging to both his arms while shoving their bosoms near his chest.

Seriously? What a bunch of desperate women. Have they no sense of dignity? Aren't girls supposed to be more conservative in the Victorian era?

"Such dignity." I muttered under my breath. I guess that's one thing that remains constant throughout time. Nicholas on the other hand, took notice of my stare at those girls, compelling his smirk to grow wider.

"Are you jealous, Miss Wellesley? Because if you are, I am not surprised at all." He said, waving the glass in a circular motion.

"Ha! Me, jealous? That must be the greatest joke of the year! You should get a prize for it!" I mocked, "besides, don't bother trying so hard, it's not your fault that you're just not that attractive to catch my attention." I said loudly, gaining a few scowls from the group of girls.

"Well then, there must be a reason why you aren't able to keep your eyes off me in the market today, Miss Wellesley." He whispered in my ear, sending shivers down my back.

"Don't flatter yourself," I took a step back, "it's just that you're the first person I think the word 'ugly' stands for."

Lies.

"Deny all you want, sweetheart." He inched closer and leaned into my ear, "but your face says it all."

My face grew hotter by the minute as his soft whispers took a tremendous effect on me. Not wanting to lose my composure, I stared back at him in return.

Come on, brain. Now is your time to shine.

"P...phew, did anybody smell that? Somebody needs a mouth wash," swatting my hands in the air. However, this only earned a chuckle from him.

Smooth. Real smooth Abbey.

A few girls tugged at Nicholas' sleeves, hoping to gain his attention. "Come on Nick, she isn't worth your time. Let's go somewhere quiet," one of the girls whined. Nicholas on the other hand seem ignorant of their existence as his eyes were solely focused on mine, and only mine.

"Yeah Nick. You wouldn't want to keep the ladies waiting, don't you?" I taunted.

"Sorry girls, I suggest you leave before you get somebody jealous." Nicholas chuckled before looking at me again; prompting me to scoff at his reply.