Twenty-Four

"Here are the lists of people that you are to know for tonight's ball," Nicholas handed me a stack of papers over the breakfast table. It was filled with the list of names and pictures of the society's high-fliers, "I am serious, this is really important. They are powerful people that you cannot afford to offend."

"Yeah yeah." After breakfast, I returned to my room and started on a long and torturous journey of pure memorization. It was easy to recognize the women but what is up with the men? Most of them kept long beard that made them look too similar to each other. I continued flipping through the pages before chancing on a particular person.

Mrs. Eleanora Dolittle.

Her profile and status were impressive. Not only is she the owner of a few major shipping companies, she even owns a large textile business that not only is purchased by the noble hierarchy but also the common folk. She is also a philanthropist in the welfare of single mothers and orphans. When I compared her generous actions to that of our first meeting, it seemed kind of ironic.

Time passed by in a blur. After hours of reading, I decided to reward myself with a break.

Food should do the trick.

I approached the entrance of the door, only to be greeted by Camille who was carrying a white gown in her arms.

"Abbey, it is time to prepare for the ball." Camille placed the dress on the bed and went to prepare hot water for my bath.

"Prepare? But it's only three. The ball doesn't start until six."

"Beauty takes time, Abbey. Besides, it is not good to leave things to the very last minute."

Knowing that there was no way that I could make Camille change her mind, I simply complied. There was nothing more arduous than preparing a woman for a ball. Though it was a pain to sit through three hours of preparation, I was eager to witness Nicholas' expression when he sees me in that dress.

As Camille helped me into the gown, I began to realize how exquisite and elegant this dress was by itself. The translucent material that covered my arms, mid-chest and neck were decorated with rhinestones that glittered under the light. The white cloth that embraced the rest of my body reached the floor, imprinted with patterns that added a touch of sophistication. Whoever designed this gown was surely an expert in their field. Camille then did a low French bun and adorned my hair with stalks of baby's breath.

"Close your eyes, Abbey. I am going to be doing your make up." I did as I was told, patiently waiting for Camille to signal that she was finished. All I could feel were the soft bristles brushing back and forth, creating to what I hoped would not turn out to be a disaster.

"All done!" Camille heaved a sigh of relief as I opened my eyes, taken aback by my appearance.

"Camille."

"Yes?" She replied as she packed the makeup and brushes back to its original location.

"I look like a bride prepared for her wedding." Camille giggled and made some final adjustments to the flowers on my hair.

"You look beautiful, Abbey. It seems that Sir Nicholas indeed possesses a good sense of taste."

"Nicholas?"

"Mmhmm, he picked the outfit that you are wearing, all the way to the hairstyle and flowers that were to be used. He must have been imagining how beautiful you would look when he bought this dress." Camille teased. My heart fluttered when I realized that Nicholas was the one who took charge of my outfit. I couldn't help but feel a sudden urge for him to look at me.