Thirty

"So, this is the place that you have been wanting to bring me to?" I asked. It looked like how any restaurant would look like. It left me wondering as to why Fredricks has been wanting to bring me here.

"I know, I know. I had the same reaction as yours when I first came here. But little did I expect the food to be so good. In fact, this restaurant is one of the best for its served dishes. I guarantee that you will not regret it!" He defended as he called upon the waiter.

Glancing around the area, I attempted to search for a familiar face as I had a gut feeling that I might see him here. When I found no such silhouette, a sigh of relief was let out. Knowing that I must be overthinking, I focused my attention on the menu and began ordering the dish I wanted.

"Miss Wellesley?" Both Fredricks and I looked up from our menu to peer at the couple before us.

"What a coincidence!" Amelia exclaimed.

Terrific.

"It sure is." I answered while looking at Fredricks who looked like he was about to lash out.

"Waiter! Could you bring two more seats to this table?" Amelia called out and two chairs came swiftly to our table.

"I do not think-"

"Fredricks, you have yet to recommend a dessert to me." I abruptly cut him from his speech, giving a small nod as a gesture that I was okay. Even though I was still in the midst of healing my wounds, I knew that I couldn't run from Nicholas forever. Nicholas and Amelia settled down into their seats, leaving Nicholas sitting in the opposite direction of where I was.

I fidgeted in my seat as his gaze left me in extreme discomfort, to the point where I could puke whatever contents there was in my stomach.

"How have you been, Abbey?" Amelia gleamed while Nicholas kept his eyes fixated on me.

You think?

How dense can this woman be?

"I am fine. How about you?" It took all that I had to force a smile on my lips, completely unaware that Fredricks had now placed his hand upon mine.

"Oh, you know, wedding preparations take up most of my time. But Nick here has been really impatient to the point where he intends to shift our wedding to an earlier date. Right, Nick?" Amelia clasped her hands over Nicholas which prompted him to place his over hers.

"Right." Nicholas replied.

Seeing the love that took place before me reminded me of the days when Nicholas too, had once held that same look for me. This led the same wave of sadness to wash over me.

Fredricks' grip tightened, compelling me to turn and witness his reassuring smile. Though I knew that that was the way he tried to comfort me, I couldn't return his smile with mine. All I could feel were the knots that continued to entangle to an increasingly complex formation somewhere in my gut.

"I do not feel so well, please excuse me." I quickly rose from the seat and made a dash to the exit.

"Abbey, hold up!" I ignored the voice and continued the brisk walk down the street. There were too many things that occupied my mind that I could not possibly spare any energy on other issues.

"Abbey!" This time, a hand grabbed my arm and forcefully pulled me backwards, enveloping my body to another. It came to my realization that if I were to continue the path, I would have been trampled over by a horse.

"I am sorry." I whispered under my breath.

"There is nothing that you should be sorry for." Fredricks said, embracing me, with my back pressed against his chest. "Let's go home." He led me to the carriage before opening the door to help me into my seat.