Twenty-Five

"Good morning sleepy head." The sun rays shone into my eyes, threatening them to close once more. After a few blinks, my vision finally adjusted to the change in brightness. I spun around to identify the source where the sound was coming from.

"Nicholas!" I jumped, pressing myself into the headboard while closely clutching onto the blanket. Nicholas, who sat on a chair beside my bed, seemed amused by my actions.

"May I remind you of the deed that you did last night? If I may add, it was quite fantastic." He grazed his finger across his lips before he shifted to sit on the edge of my bed.

Right...

We kissed.

Flashbacks from last night started to flood my mind. I was desperate to dig a hole and bury myself in it. Or better yet, that the ground would swallow me whole so that I wouldn't even need to prepare my own grave.

"Uhm, I didn't know what I was doing," I tried talking my way out of the situation, "you see, I was really drunk last night, so whatever I did was definitely on impulse."

No, it wasn't. Why can't I just tell him the truth?

"It did not seem that way," he pursed his lips and cocked his head to the side, "given how you had no intention of releasing me despite my efforts to push you away, are you sure that it was truly a mistake? " Nicholas was now looking exceedingly triumphant.

"You are lying!" I was extremely certain that my face was as red as a baboon's butt right now.

"Oh, my darling, I wish I was," he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear before lightly pinching my cheek, "after all, you made quite a spectacle yesterday. But, you did succeed in fooling those girls that I am taken."

"Urgh! Please kill me." I hid myself under the blanket, unable to face him after what I did. And what's worse, my reputation has been thrown out the window; probably sinking to the depths of the Mariana Trench.

"Now what good would that do," the blankets were tugged away, and Nicholas' face was situated close to mine; just an inch further and we will be reliving the events from last night. "I have yet to give you my reply and there you are, so swift to surrender to death? That just won't do."

"Then... what is your answer?" I replied, inhaling the scent of his intoxicating aftershave.

"A little birdy once told me that words are meaningless without actions. Therefore, will this suffice?" His body weight pressed me further into the mattress as he leaned closer to me. And at that moment, I could feel a pair of soft lips press onto my cheek, and as he exhaled, his warm breath blew against my ear.

I was astounded, yet a fuzzy and mellow feeling started to spread across my body. His lips lingered for a moment before pulling away.

"And if that is not enough, then hear this," Nicholas eyes held such intensity, but was somehow mixed with absolute sincerity and honesty.

"I am in love with you, Abbey. And it all started with you catching my attention ever since that close encounter in the market. Since then, I have had eyes for no one except you."

I could feel a rock lift from my chest the moment those words rolled off his tongue. I couldn't help but giggle at all those times when I was worried that he was just treating me from out of consideration. Now, the man before me has changed so much that I could hardly recognize him.

"What are you sniggering at?" He questioned; his brows were now furrowed in a line.

"Nothing. It's just that I can't believe that we have come so far. We were always at loggerheads when we first met, and now, things have changed." And it was true, I would have never imagined ending up with a person that I loathed in the beginning.

"For the better I hope."

"Of course." Before I knew it, the room was filled with the sound of our laughter. It was truly a refreshing way to start our day like this.

"To make things even better, what do you say we head out for the evening?" Nicholas suggested.

"Where are we going?"

"You will know it when you see it." I huffed in annoyance. Though I loved surprises, I hated the feeling of having to be kept in the dark, that only leads to me having to make wild guesses. But since Nicholas went that far to surprise me, I shall be patient.

"Alright."

Nicholas pushed himself off from me and adjusted his attire. I too, sat up, prepared to go about my usual duties.

"Why are you standing up?" He pushed me back onto the bed.

"To get ready for lessons?"

"No, what you need is rest. From the amount of liquor you consumed, it would take a miracle for you to even sit through my lesson." As if on cue, a dull pain wrapped around the sides of my head that forced me to lay my head back down the pillow.

"I will come for you in the evening. In the meantime, just worry about getting enough rest. I will inform Camille to take care of your needs." Nicholas whispered as he bent down to place a kiss on my forehead. All I could do was nod before I found myself to once again, fall back into slumber.

*

"You are all set!" Camille exclaimed, making a few final touches to my dress. "Have a wonderful evening, Abbey, but not too much fun." She winked before nudging me on my shoulder. I guess everyone in this mansion knows that Nicholas and I are a thing right now. The talk of the house, I suppose.

Thanks to Camille, I was feeling a lot better after the nap and hot oatmeal she prepared. Not wanting to return to sleep, I decided to entertain myself with a book. Time quickly went by and now, I was ready for an evening with Nicholas.

A knock on the door came, revealing a smartly dressed and dashing Nicholas who had just entered the room.

"You are looking beautiful as always, Abbey." He said, with a voice as smooth as ever before placing a kiss at the back of my hand. Sadly, the gloves that I was wearing didn't permit me to feel his soft lips against my skin.

"You don't look too bad yourself." I flirted, earning a chuckle from Nicholas.

"Well then, shall we head out?" Nicholas stood up, with his hand still holding mine. I simply nodded in return as he began to lead me to the carriage.