Ten

"Great to see how enthusiastic you are. Now, if you would please, send these documents to Sir Hendricks." He said, as he dropped the briefcase onto my arms, leaving my mouth wide agape.

"But I don't know any Hendricks." I replied.

"Then ask around. You are not five, are know?" His brows arched upwards, as if pointing out how stupid I was, before going back to his desk. I stood there, with my feet rooted to the ground, thinking of the perfect way to retaliate, but I couldn't.

"I thought I came here to learn. I didn't know I was to be a messenger."

"Take this errand as a form of a punishment." He replied nonchalantly with his eyes still fixated on the pile of papers sitting in front of him. I on the other hand, was having a hard time processing what he just said.

Just how obnoxious can this jerk be?

"Look, as much as how we both dislike each other, I believe it's mutual that we want these three months to go by as fast as possible. So, I'm sorry that my appearance and manners are not up to your standards. But I hope that you will overlook this and resume your teaching."

It was useless to be at constant loggerheads. If I wanted to shorten the duration of my stay, I knew that I had to give in to him.

"Might I remind you, Miss Wellesley, that I loathe repeating myself." He slammed his pen during the process as he tore his attention away from the stack of documents. I have caught his attention, and truth be told, he was not happy.

That makes the two of us.

This was in fact the first time I saw him furrow his brows. The tension in the room was unbearable. It was like two invisible forces clashing together, both not wanting to give way to the other.

"Well, what are you still standing here for? You may leave." He dismissed.

Just then, there was a knock on the door.

"Sir," Christian said, "Miss Dolittle is here."

"Just in time! Christian, please escort Miss Abbey to Sir Hendricks' abode," he clapped his hands.

"As you wish, Sir." Christian bowed, before gesturing me to follow him. As soon as we stepped out that door, I unleashed all my jars of anger on Christian.

"Is he always so..."

"Pushy? Demanding?" Christian cut in. I nodded my head violently with hands clenched into fists.

"Yeah, he is very serious when it comes to his work. But you will get used to it."

"Urgh! I just feel like..." I punch and thrashed the air violently.

"Don't worry, there are countless people that Sir Nicholas has offended. You are certainly not the first." Christian chuckled.

Thanks to Christian, I was able to make my way to Sir Hendricks' without any hiccups. However, the trip was long and tiring; probably because of the anger I unleashed. With the velvet red cushions in the carriage providing a comfy and soft support for my weary body, slowly and unknowingly, my breath and eyelids grew increasingly heavier before I found myself slip deep into slumber.

Here I was, back at the park, pacing along the lake.

Am I home? No, it can't be. This all seems so surreal. My heart clenched at the sight of this place, my eyes felt warm as tears cascaded down like hard rain. I missed my family and friends. I didn't want this to happen, getting stuck in another time was definitely not on my bucket list. What if I must spend the rest of my life here? The thought on the possibility of a permanent separation with everyone back home prompted my tears to fall harder.