Eleven

"Your house is amazing! Much more amazing than that jer... uh I mean, Nicholas."

"Thanks, but frankly speaking, mine isn't as big as his." He humbly replied.

"It's not a matter of proportions to me. Yours is a lot homelier than his. I feel like I'm locked in prison when I'm in his house." I rolled my eyes, but it was true, though the room was what every girl would have wanted, it failed to give me a sense of comfort. By now, Fredricks held the most peculiar gaze at me, as if he was witnessing the weirdest creature on the planet.

"What?" I asked, feeling relatively nervous.

"Do you know what I like about you?" His question took me aback as I shook my head, a little surprised by his forwardness.

"First, I admire the way of how you are not afraid to be yourself, even if it looks repulsive, or even if it might earn a few stares from people, that does not stop you from acting naturally. Secondly, I prefer people who can talk straight to the point about how they feel. Yes, it may hurt sometimes, but truth hurts and there is nothing anyone can do about it."

"Thank you, finally someone understands me. And the worst part is, my sister has sent me to live in Nicholas' house for three months, and for what? Just for a couple of princess lessons." I stuck my tongue out, earning a burst of laughter from Fredricks.

"Then how come you haven't told your sister about your opinion?"

"Oh I did, she didn't bother paying any attention to what I have to say. But I guess I couldn't blame her. Ever since our parents died, she has always wanted what was best for me, and I guess all I could do is just to work hard to reward her for her hard work." Fredricks nodded knowingly.

"In fact, the main reason for all these princess lessons was just so that I was disciplined enough to one day be married off to a random family that I will spend the rest of my life in. But no matter what, that's one thing that I won't follow through."

"And why is that?" he probed. By now, we were strolling along the hallways where the sun shone brightly through the arched windows.

"Can you imagine marrying someone that you don't know, yet alone love? There is no happiness in a marriage that is arranged. I can't imagine how miserable that would feel."

"That is true. Well, if things turn sideways, I would be delighted to attain permission from your sister for your hand in marriage."

"What? Don't be silly!" I snorted with laughter. "I really appreciate your jokes as a form of consolation, but don't you worry, when that time comes, I will not hesitate to run away if I have to."

"What if I am being serious about marrying you?" I stopped dead in my tracks, not knowing what to say. As much as I like Fredricks, the possibility of marrying him did not cross my mind. Not even once.

"How can you be serious about marrying me when we have only just met?" The silence in the hall was unbearable. On top of it all, his unwavering gaze made me extremely nervous.

"Got you!" Fredricks exclaimed, "you should have seen the look on your face. It was priceless!" The hallway reverberated with the chortles from Fredricks which I later joined in, lightly slapping his arm, earning a fake expression of hurt from him.

"That hurt." He pouted his lips and covered the area that I slapped with his hand.

"With that thick skin of yours, I highly doubt it." I chuckled before continuing the tour, leaving him still standing at that exact spot. I couldn't help but smirk at how astounded he must feel from my response. It must have been rare for someone to converse with him in such a manner.