Twenty-Eight

"Are you sure you are okay?" Agnes' voice was dripped with concern as she dropped me off at Nicholas'. The sun was no longer shining as it did when I left the house. Though I was left in horror when they broke the news about Nicholas' wedding, I was adamant to put my trust in Nicholas. Even if he were to hide secrets from me, there was no way that he could confess his feelings and yet stay silent about marrying somebody else.

"I am okay."

No, I wasn't.

I felt like I was bursting from the inside. What I needed were answers. I needed to hear the truth from Nicholas.

"Alright. Sleep tight, Abbey" Agnes reluctantly left as she signaled the coachman to head for home. As I entered the house, I was greeted by no one, not even Camille. Of course, given how late it was, everyone must be deep in slumber.

Quietly, I sauntered up the staircase and made my way to the bedroom before closing the door. Immediately, I plunged forth and buried myself in the bedsheets. I didn't have any mood to clean and tidy myself. After all, how could I? My mind was already as occupied as it is.

As the night deepened, it became increasingly challenging for me to fall asleep. I tossed and turned, desperately trying to get a relief from the thoughts that ran through my head. I even attempted meditation and various breathing techniques to set my mind at ease, but all of which proved useless. And so there I was, lying on my back with my eyes glued to the ceiling.

Seconds turned to minutes, and minutes to hours. Soon, the moon gradually paved its way for the sun to take its place in the sky. The sound of birds could be distinctly heard through the layer of glass.

Suddenly, I heard the front door slam shut, and in came the sound of shuffling footsteps.

Nicholas.

Hurriedly, I hoisted myself up from the bed and raced down the stairs. As I ran towards him, I knew that all the doubts I had would be wiped away, and everything that I heard was of nothing but a mere hoax.

"Nicholas!" I exclaimed, ready to embrace him. But as I saw a figure emerged from his back, I halted in my footsteps; with nothing but sheer terror for who I saw.

"Hello Miss Wellesley, we meet again." The woman approached me with a wedding dress clutched in her arms. It was the woman that I saw back at the restaurant, the woman that I was at awe for her beauty.

Amelia Dolittle.

Meanwhile, Nicholas who noticed my presence just stood with his eyes wide opened, shocked that I was awake at this time of day.

"I apologize if we have disturbed your slumber, but we just got back from all our wedding arrangements and we are utterly exhausted." I glanced upon the number of boxes there were on the floor before landing on the ring tightly clasped around Amelia's fourth finger.

"Your ring," I said before I could even stop myself.

"Oh, yeah," Amelia held out her finger so that I could take a closer look at it. "I told Nicholas that I was not in need of an extravagant one, but he insisted that I should, saying that marriage only happens once in a lifetime."

"I see."

It was as if someone had plunged a knife into my heart and twisted it deeper, reopening the wounds that I deemed recovered from the encounter with Adrian and Jessica. This was too painful.

"Yes. A woman should never be humble when it comes to her happiness." I glanced around the room before falling on a familiar face, Mrs. Eleanora Dolittle.