Thirty-Six

Fredricks

"Hyaah!" There was still no sign of her. Not a single soul could be seen on the streets. After she left, Agnes, Julie and I, took it into our own hands to find her. But all efforts seemed to be at a loss.

I am sorry, Abbey. As long as you are safe, whatever that you ask of me, I promise that I will do; even if it meant that you never want to see me again.

The rain seemed to pour heavier by the minute, hindering my vision of what lies ahead. As much as I hated it, it became clear that I was not capable of finding her by myself. Setting a new course, I pulled the reins before riding towards the direction of Nicholas.

It did not take long before I finally reached his mansion as I burst through the entrance.

"Nicholas, where are you!" I shouted, startling a young butler who almost dropped a pot of flowers.

"What on earth are you doing here at this hour?" a voice called out, revealing Nicholas who was still clad in his wedding attire as he walked down the stairs. Soon enough, his new bride, who on the other hand, had already changed out of her wedding dress approached the lobby from another corner of the house.

"I need your help. Abbey is missing."

Immediately, Nicholas dashed down the remaining flights of stairs. "Prepare my horse, Christian."

"Yes Sir." The young butler rushed out of the house and into the rain. 

As Nicholas and I were about to leave, the woman who seemed to stand quietly finally spoke out.

"Wait!" The both of us halted in our footsteps, compelling me to turn around, only to see that Nicholas had kept his eyes focused on the horse that had been readied for him.

"Stay with me, please. I will do anything as long as you stay here with me."

"I am sorry." Nicholas simply said before quickening his footsteps once more.

"Why do you still look for her when I am already your wife." This time, she spoke a little louder while I witnessed that she was on the verge of breaking.

"It was always her, Amelia." With just those words, Amelia crumbled to the floor while Nicholas rushed to get on his horse before riding away. I on the other hand, stayed a little longer, pondering if I should comfort the sobbing lady as any gentleman should at that point in time.

No, what am I thinking? I do not have time for this.

Swiftly, I climbed on the back of my horse, racing to Nicholas in double time. But I could not help but think that this marriage was already over before it had even begun.

Nicholas

"She must be in one of the hotels."

"How would you know?" Fredricks argued, clearly still angry at me for following through with the plan.

"She is a smart girl, Fredricks. What could she do at this hour except for being at a hotel?" I retaliated, "If I am right, the nearest hotel to her house would be the Brown's Hotel."

"Then, to Brown's we shall go."

I shall never forget that face of hers as she congratulated me.

"Congratulations, Nicholas! I am so happy for you! She seems like a great catch! Take good care of her, alright?"

That look of pain so visibly etched across her face.

Silly girl, how could you still possibly congratulate me knowing that it will only hurt you more?