Twenty-Six

"So, where are you taking me?" I asked, still curious about where we were heading.

"Tsk tsk, so impatient," Nicholas replied, placing an arm around me, scooching my body closer to his. I naturally leaned my head into his chest and wrapped my arms around his waist, inhaling his scent. And just like that, the two of us remained in each other's arms as the horses clopped to our destination.

"Sir Nicholas. Miss Wellesley. We have arrived." The door to the carriage opened, signaling for Nicholas and I to pull away from each other. The both of us stepped out of the carriage, with Nicholas supporting me as I planted my feet on the ground. The faint and upbeat music could be heard from the location it was in. Lights of different colors too, could be seen illuminating the night sky.

"You didn't really bring me to a carnival, did you Nicholas?"

"As a matter of fact, I did. Do you not like it?" His face fell to disappointment, probably afraid that I was not the kind that would like to attend these events.

"Are you kidding? I love it!" I rushed to hug him tightly around his waist, which earned a few looks from the passerby.

Back home, Alice and I adored visiting places of festivities. In fact, it was our yearly must-visit location no matter how busy our schedules were. When there were no events, we would often hang around the arcades where we could compete on various games. And I am proud to say that I was usually the winner for it all. You could say that my expertise lies in this area.

"Great! Then, let us go." Nicholas grabbed my hand while we both made our way into the carnival which was brimming with people. As we walked past them, I began to take notice of their disapproving stares and hisses. It became clear when I suddenly recalled from one of my many etiquette lessons that there were to be no physical contact between a woman and a gentleman until marriage.

"Nicholas," I tried pulling my hand away from him, reminding him that we were gaining attention from the people around us. My reputation was bad enough, but I didn't want to bring down Nicholas' reputation too.

Nicholas, who was already aware of his surrounding, tightens his grip as we strolled pass the entrance, "pay no attention to them." My heart warmed upon hearing his words. Even at the cost of his prestige, this man was willing to break societal norms for me. He was making me fall harder for him by the minute.

"Nicholas."

"What?" He replied as he took out a few notes before handing them over the counter in exchange for game passes.

"You look exceedingly handsome today." Nicholas burst out in laughter, causing me to frown at his reaction.

"What are you laughing for?"

"Flattery will do you no good, Abbey. Let us see if you can play as well as you talk."

"Oh? Is that a threat? Because you don't want to mess with me, boy." I challenged, eager to see the look on his face when I beat him at every game. "And if I somehow manage to win, is there a reward?"

"If you manage to win, you can ask me of anything you desire," Nicholas leaned closer to me before he whispered in my ear, "But sweetheart, I highly doubt that."

"We shall see." Though there wasn't anything that I wanted at the moment, I was resolved at making him bow to my feet. From a distance, I could hear gunshots blasting through the air. Turning around, I saw a booth with a few gentleman bearing arms, adamant on shooting down the cardboard targets. The ladies however, stood behind to cheer for their partner while covering their ears to muffle the deafening sound.

Challenge one.

"Let's go!" I pulled Nicholas behind me and sprinted to the booth. Upon seeing the game that we were about to play, he gave me an amused and are-you-serious look.

"Are you sure about challenging me with this game?" He smirked. I could no longer hold back my smile as I reached for the rifle.

"Watch and learn." I loaded the rifle with the pellets and started firing, each bullet meeting its moving target. The crowd started cheering, amazed at my marksmanship. After I was finished, I looked back to Nicholas, only to find him shrug his shoulders before pushing through the people to grab his rifle.

"Impressive, but the trick to this game is for someone to win," he replied as he started his rounds of fire, successfully hitting each target. "You are going to have to try harder if you want to beat me, darling." Another roar of cheers exploded when Nicholas returned his rifle to the booth attendant.

"As expected, you are a man of many talents. I would be sorely disappointed if you lost the first challenge." I taunted, while the two of us went on our way in search for more games.

 As the night progresses, I began to grow increasingly exhausted, not because of the games, but because our scores were still tied. I have lost count on the number of booths we visited, but it seems that our skills were on par with each other.

"It seems you have met your match." By now, the both of us were sitting on a bench, consuming the buttered corn cup and hot chocolate that he had bought. I was extremely famished from the output of energy during our competition that I literally gobbled the corn in one mouth.

"It seems that you have too." Though hungry, Nicholas still ate the corn cup with such impeccable manners. This man was so weird. First, he doesn't give a slightest thought about others when he displayed public affections, but now, he was eating as if he was dining with the queen.

But his weirdness is what I love about him.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Nicholas voiced out when he noticed the smile that crept to my lips as I glanced at him.

"It's nothing. Given that our scores are tied, I was just wondering if we could keep the bet fair by telling each other what we desire."

"I suppose we could," Nicholas swallowed the last of his hot chocolate before continuing, "Then what do you desire?"

"I-"

My mind was suddenly filled with the flashbacks of Adrian and Jessica. Never would I ever want to relive that pain ever again, not when I have fallen deeply for this man.

"Abbey, you were saying?" Nicholas was still waiting for my answer.

Taking a deep breath, I stared straight into his eyes and place my hand over his. "Promise me that you will never leave me."

Nicholas' eyes widened upon my words. Slowly, he tilted his head down to the point where he was focused at our hands. There was a moment of silence, and all I could feel was a light squeeze.

"Nicholas, are you alri-"

"I promise," was all he said as he peered back at me, where a hint of pain could be detected. I didn't know what was bothering him, nor did I know the events that took place in his past. But, I knew that I was going to patiently wait for the day where he will finally lean on me.

"Then can you promise me something too, Abbey."

"Anything," wanting him to know that I am and always will be standing there beside him.

"Promise me that you will forgive me no matter what happens." That is a little weird for a promise. Even though he does infuriate me sometimes, there is nothing that I couldn't forgive.

"I promise."

Suddenly, Nicholas pulled me into a tight embrace. I was a taken aback by his sudden burst of action, but I quickly melted into his embrace and hooked my arms around his neck. But what caught me completely off guard were the following words...

"I love you."