Eight

With a hint of smile, his arms folded at the sight of me. Nicholas was smartly dressed in a black vest and white buttoned-up top. I continued staring at him, oblivious to what he had just said. Standing up from behind the desk, he strolled towards me with his hands in his pockets while my eyes were still glued onto him.

"Do you like what you see, Miss Wellesley?" His deep velvet voice snapped me out of a trance. Nicholas, on the other hand, stood so close that I could smell his minty breath. Shocked by the close distance, I immediately retreat, but unfortunately for me, I tripped over the dress Julie picked out for me this morning. Again.

This has to stop happening.

I closed my eyes and felt myself falling, bracing for the impact which never came. The strong hold on my waist was unmistakable, while Nicholas' face was just a mere inch from mine. His brown eyes stared deep into mine as if he were trying to figure out what I was thinking.

My cheeks burned at his intense stare before realizing how awkward our position was. I pushed him back, but to no avail. His hands around my waist only tightened further. With all the strength I had left, I gripped his shoulders and gave the hardest push, releasing myself from his grip. The room became extremely silent after we broke apart.

The last thing that I needed was trouble with this man.

"I would appreciate it if you could keep your hands to yourself," I warned, adjusting my attire, hoping that it was ease my nervousness.

"Would you rather prefer that I let you fall?" He questioned with his brows raised.

"No... what I meant was for us to keep these three months as professional as possible. And that is you being my teacher and me trying to learn as much as possible during this period. I can't let Agnes down."

It was true. Even though I only knew Agnes for a few days, I would somehow feel guilty if I were to let her down. All her time and efforts to nurture me would have been wasted. Despite my head hanging low, I could feel his attention still focused on me. "So, um... when do we start." I prompted, hoping to change the subject as soon as possible.

Silence engulfed the room once more.

"Um... did you hear..."

"So be it." He interrupted, before walking back to the desk, his face void of the any expression.

"What do you mean 'so be it'?"

"Tomorrow. We shall start tomorrow. In the meantime, you should take this time to settle in and make yourself comfortable. That will be all. You may leave." Before immersing himself in the pile of documents with a pen in his hand.

"Well, if there is nothing else, I shall return to my room then."

"A moment please," Nicholas took a thick book from his table drawer. "Here," he said, placing it on the table, "I want you to be prepped and ready for lesson tomorrow. Make sure that all these information enters that thick skull of yours." My jaw dropped at the weight and size of the book.

It is impossible for me to finish this book in one night.

"There must be a mistake." I said before continuing, "it is impossible for anyone to finish this book in less than a day."

"I don't care if it is possible or impossible. The task has already been appointed to you. So, I suggest that you better get started before the next sun rises." He said in a serious tone, his stern face reminded me of my principal back at school.

"Jackass." I cursed under my breath and rolled my eyes at his remark.

"What was that?"

"I mean okay. I will try to finish it by tomorrow. I better get going right now." Unable to bear his presence in the room, I rushed to slam the door behind me.

I walked back to my room and threw myself on the bed, with boiling blood rushing through my veins. After a moment of silence, I finally managed to calm myself from that incident. I looked out through the window at the darkened sky, and was reminded of Nicholas' words.

"I don't care if it is possible or impossible. The task has already been appointed to you. So, I suggest that you better get started before the next sun rises." I mimicked.

Okay, I have to get started before Mr. Jerk decides to turn bipolar again.

I held the book within my hands and placed them on my lap.

A Lady's Etiquette.

Wow. I didn't know they had books like these in this century.

As I flipped to the first page, I began to skim through the seemingly endless rules on what it takes to become a lady.

1. Manners matter. It is always important to remain polite to others despite their ill-mannered ways, and at the same time, chooses her words carefully before articulating.

2. A lady does not raise her voice in public, any higher than it is necessary, nor does she sit in an improper manner; like leaning lazily in the chair.

3. A lady does not use rude or shocking language, especially at the dining table.

4. When dining, a lady never ever puts large pieces of food in her mouth nor chews with her mouth open.

5. A lady does not put the bones of fish or poultry on the tablecloth itself, but rather, placing it on the edge of her plate.

I was tired of learning the rules of how a lady should act or should not act.

Is there no freedom at all?

Just then, there was a knock on the door, and in came Christian with a woman behind him.

"Hello Abbey, I am terribly sorry to interrupt your study hours. But may I introduce you to this lady here, Camille. From now on, she will be by your side to take care of your needs." The woman dressed in black with an apron around her waist stepped to the side, with a smile hanging on her face. She had a petite frame with large grey eyes that complemented her brown hair. I liked her immediately not because of how pretty she looked, but rather that she reminded me of Julie.

"Hello, I'm Abbey! It's nice to meet you!" I tugged on her hand and shook it. Her smile on her face widened.

"I am Camille. It's nice to meet you, Miss Wellesley."

"Oh, spare me the courtesy! You will call me Abbey, and only Abbey from now on."

"Understood, Abbey." She giggled as she pushed in a cart filled with food.

"Whoa! That looks delicious," I exclaimed, with my eyes concentrating on the array of cuisine which neatly decorated the cart.

"You must be hungry after studying for such long hours. So, I got Camille to prepare a few dishes for you." Christian chuckled after looking at my expression.

"Christian, I am aware that we have just met, but you know me too well." I patted on his shoulders, touched beyond words. In fact, I might say that I was moved to tears. Food was the only comfort for me after a long and awful day.

"I hope these dishes are to your liking, Abbey." Camille said. I took the spoon and dipped it into the creamy hot soup, frowning at the taste of it. Camille on the other hand, seems to be worried about my response as her hands were tightly clenched together.

"Hmm, this is the... best soup I've ever tasted!" I burst out in laughter, sending Camille into an utter relief. Christian on the other hand patted Camille on her shoulder.

"Seems like your worries can now be put to rest." He smiled warmly, causing Camille's cheeks to turn red.

I smirked to myself as I stared at them both; knowingthe possibility of an emerging relationship between Christian and Camille.