Twenty

"Tickets for two, please." Nicholas said, handing over a few notes in exchange for two tickets and booklets that read 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'.

Great, this is like literature class all over again.

Don't get me wrong. I love literature, but I do have a knack for sleeping during these plays.

As soon as we settled into our seats, the lights dimmed and the orchestra began to play an extravagant theme that made the hairs at the back of my neck stand. It was so grand that I felt as if I was pulled into the time Shakespeare.

Forty minutes into the play and I still found myself staring at the actors and actresses gracefully gliding from one end of the stage to another, flaunting whatever skills they had grasped from practicing into this play.

If literature classes could be that interesting.

I was too absorbed in the play that I was left unaware that Nicholas had reached out to grab my hand, placing mine in his. "What are you doing?" I asked, with my attention still fixed on the play. But he did not return an answer. I felt the temperature increase on my cheek.

Thank goodness it was dark.

And so, we held hands throughout the entire play. In fact, thanks to him, I couldn't concentrate on the second half of the play. It was as if my heart was about to burst from thumping too quickly, and too loudly, which I prayed that he couldn't hear.

*

"So, what did you think of the play?"

"It was great!" I replied.

"Is this your first time watching this particular play?"

"Nope! I watched it several times in school during literature class. It was technically quite boring. I slept a few times and even skipped the lesson to watch dramas from the internet." I blurted, not realizing what came out of my mouth.

"Internet?" He stared at me with his eyebrows raised.

"Oh, umm...I meant errr..." I searched the area for something to divert his attention, "what's that over there?" I pointed to a shop, hoping that Nicholas will get off this subject. Meanwhile, Nicholas turned his head to look where I was pointing before looking back at me.

"Is your mind always filled with nothing but food?" He chuckled, while I heaved an internal sigh of relief.

"Usually, why?"

"Well, that is a famous restaurant. One of the best in town. Which brings me back to the point..."

Please not the internet topic.

"Are you famished?" As soon as he said that, my stomach grumbled. Loudly.

"Come on," he chortled, "time for your favorite part this evening."

"Welcome, Sir. May I know how many will be dining this evening." A smartly dressed waiter assisted. Their full-white suit gave each staff a sleek and neat appearance.

"Just two."

"Right this way, Sir." The waiter grabbed two menus before leading us to our table.

As I stepped through the door, I was greeted with the sound of soft violin playing in the background. The walls of the restaurant were plastered with rich cream-colored wallpapers, while the tables and chairs were carefully crafted, each of it as its own work of art. To top it off, a huge crystal chandelier hung on the ceiling, illuminating the entire place. Not knowing that we have reached our table, I continued taking in every single detail of the restaurant.