Prologue

Maven is sitting at his desk shuffling through old documents previously laid eyes upon by his late father.

It was important for him to carry on where the former King left off, to finally give Norta the victory she deserved.

A little lizard-like creature suddenly leaps across Maven's papers, scattering the ones on top.

It then jumps to scurry up his arm and perch on his shoulder.

The night after Maven received the dragon egg, it had hatched, right there by his fireplace.

Since then, it has been growing at an exponential rate.

The little dragon strokes Maven's cheek, its tiny slotted scales are smooth as they connect with Maven's own skin.

It has a spine that runs down its back from head to tail and its minuscule horns frame the edges of its face and then curve up into two tiny wicked points.

Right now, the little thing appears black as night, with the darkest red eyes.

At closer inspection, Maven can see a burgundy tinge to each scale that shimmers when exposed to bright light.

Maven lifts a finger to scratch beneath its spiky chin.

"Osarion."

Maven knew it was a boy as soon as he laid eyes on him. He had a distinct masculine energy.

Although from Maven's research dragons hypothetically could be masculine, feminine or both.

He responds, giving a tiny flap of his wings and a hoarse screech.

Maven had to find the space to house him, give him a proper stable.

Taming him, however was not an issue.

As soon as Osarion hopped out of his stone shell and saw Maven, they were telepathically bonded.

Both born from fire.

Osarion was now a guardian, and would only obey Maven.

"I know. The council had a meeting today. They don't trust me, yet. I would rather they underestimate me, they'll soon see. My aims are beyond the menial issues they deal with."

Maven spoke openly to Osarion and lifts him from his shoulder, setting him back down on the desk.

Osarion hops again and gives Maven a screech, he sounds young, immature still.

Maven stands to gather his papers. He looks to the portrait of Kaida, her deep brown eyes captured within the delicate strokes of a paint brush.

They stared down at Maven and he frowned.

"I swear, they better not hurt you."

Maven looks at Osarion.

"When you meet her, you'll love her just as much as I do."

Maven lifts Osarion back onto his shoulder and proceeds to exit his study, earning fearful bows from every passing servant.

_________________________________

Author's notes:

Here we go everyone! Book 2 of the Blood Court Series has begun! 👑🔥🐉

This time around I'm a little more nervous so I'm gonna need all the support, as always don't forget to vote, comment and share!

I hope you guys enjoy and I have a lot in store for all those who enjoyed Book 1

I'm so excited, I had to give a double upload, Chapter 1 out now!