Chapter 24

Kaida had reached Maven and as she pushed him she spun around to face the oncoming bolt.

She held her hand up instinctively, in a last ditch attempt to protect him.

The bolt is sent hurtling upwards at a terrific speed, dissipating into the stormy sky as it joins the others of its kind.

Kaida gasps as she inspects her smoking palm.

She deflected it.

She deflected raw electricity.

That should not have worked.

Kaida should be dead. Her heart stopped within her chest. Her skin fried to smithereens.

A stunning silence falls over the courtyard as all eyes land on her.

Everyone stares at her.

What exactly did this mean?

Kaida turns to face Maven, he had stumbled back but had found his footing.

He is stupefied. They all are.

Kaida looks to him for answers, for help, for anything.

He was the one that had helped her discover her initial ability, Kaida thought he could help her again.

Maven's eyes twinkle and he looks at her with a wondrous awe.

He forgets about everyone else, as his hand reaches up to cup the side of her face.

He presses their foreheads together, and they share a sweet moment.

The implications of Kaida's actions suddenly dawned on her as she watched his eyes flicker over her face.

Kaida nearly gave her life to save him.

Would she rather die than live her life without him?

She doesn't think when she presses her lips to his. She just wanted him closer, wanted to feel him, his warmth, everything. 

Maven pulls back for a second.

"We will be unstoppable."

He whispers to her, his breath fanning delicately across her face.

At a time like this, Maven still thinks of power.
Of them. The world at their fingertips.

But he also never thought anyone would ever sacrifice themselves for him, in his lifetime.

He did not deserve it, not from her.

His heart was full and he knew then, they were tied together forever.

He had no regrets when it came to Kaida.

She had saved him in so many ways.

Elias, who had been a bystander for much of the events on the courtyard, sees an opening.

To him, it is a golden window of opportunity.

Maven and Kaida are isolated from the rest of the group, and Maven pays no attention to his surroundings.

Osarion is idle behind Maven, the dragon feels his overwhelming emotions of love run through his fiery core.

It makes Osarion soft and his guard is down.

Elias will never get this chance again.

He thinks of his father, taken from him. His workshop burnt to the ground in embers and ashes. Maven's cold words to him. The threats they made to each other.