Chapter 1

Kaida's head spins as she lands.

She feels warped, like she has just been stretched apart, broken into pieces and then put back together again.

She is unsteady on her feet, and drops to her knees.

Her fingers lace through the soft white sand and the grains slip through the sieve of her fingers.

Why could she feel sand?

Kaida raises up, still on her knees, and pats her chest, checking that she is whole. In one piece.

She looks up at Elias, her eyes adjusting to the darkness.

It was still night, and she couldn't see much, but she could hear the thrashing of waves.

How could she ever forget that sound.

Elias pulls her up firmly, she is still very dazed.

"Don't worry. You get used to the dizziness after a while. Teleporting for the first time is never fun."

Kaida's eyes widen.

"Teleporting?"

She takes hold of Elias's shirt, bunching the material up in her hands.

"Elias. Where the fuck am I?"

Kaida is glaring at him, looking deep into each of his eyes.

Elias breaks the intensity, looking out at the sea.

"You're at The Scarlet Guard base."

"And where is that?"

"Manchester Island."

Elias's voice comes out low. He can barely focus with her hands still on him.

Kaida instantly zones out, scanning her mind for any recognition of the name.

She's come across it before, she's sure.

Then, it clicks.

Manchester Island, an abandoned naval base cordoned off due to a 'radiation incident'.

No, that can't be right. Manchester Island is thousands of miles away from Archeon.

Kaida lets go of Elias, immediately, as if he's suddenly become as hot as coal.

Kaida steps back.

"No. No. No. Take me back. Take me back, right now."

Kaida demands vehemently although still in a state of shock.

"I can't. Not yet."

Elias's voice is full of resolve.

A man approaches them, Kaida realised it's the same man Elias had come with. The one that teleported them here.

He swings a rope about, and addresses Elias directly.

"Farley told me you should tie her up. Put her in the bunker."

"Really, Shade? Down there?"