Chapter 13

2 weeks had come and gone.

It was already time for Kaida to reconvene with the Guard and in the shadow of the night, she snuck out.

11pm, the Scrapyard. Just as Cleo had told her.

And for once, Kaida was right on time.

She stopped at the entrance of the Scrapyard, staring down the gangplank into the dark depths, before carefully descending.

Once on the somewhat level metallic ground she came face to face with Elias.

He was sitting spread-legged on top of a busted old television.

His hands were clasped in front of him and his head was bowed, in deep thought.

From this angle Kaida could see his hair had grown out a little, the black coils no longer so close to his scalp.

As soon as he heard footsteps approach, his hazel eyes sprung up and he stood instantly, immediately on alert.

He relaxed when he saw it was Kaida.

"Hello again, Elias."

Beans of moonlight filtered through the slits of the wooden boardwalks overhead, illuminating the both of them.

The brown of their skins took on a blueish hue.

Elias took large steps towards her, then stopped abruptly, second guessing himself.

They didn't hug, they didn't touch, they simply stared at each other.

The tension rife.

Elias clears his throat to break the awkwardness, to create some noise, the silence was too deafening.

"Kaida. I'm glad to see you look okay, I mean-you look well..."

He stumbles over his words.

"Why would I look any other way?"

Kaida cocks a brow, still straight-faced.

His eyes flash wide.

In truth he didn't trust the Silvers around her but he couldn't say that.

He has to tell himself to get it together, he's a mess.

"I'm only teasing."

Kaida softens, and she smiles at him.

They were friends. They are friends. And she doesn't want him to be walking on eggshells around her.

"I'm glad to see you're okay too. I missed you."

"You did?"

Elias livens up, almost a little too pleased.

"Well, yeah! And don't take it the wrong way, friend."

Kaida emphasises the word, only half joking.

Elias mock clutches at his heart.

"Ouch. I probably deserve that though."

"You sure do."

With the ice finally cracked, Kaida approaches him and they hug tightly.

It is comfortable, and casual.

After a long moment, they separate.

Kaida switches positions with him, as she takes his seat and he stands above her.

"So, what's up? Any updates?"

Elias rests his hands on his hip and sighs.

"Elara has picked up her pace. Even more Reds are being taken, "mysterious disappearances" across the Kingdom. Whole towns, villages and cities are being swept. She does not show any signs of stopping. She wants her prison packed. Maximum capacity."

𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆'𝐒 𝐂𝐑𝐘जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें