Chapter 8

A stretch of sunlight shone directly onto Kaida's eyes which eventually opened sometime around noon.

She let out a groan as she stretched out.

She didn't meant to sleep for so long but all the exhaustion had caught up with her after a month of anxious sleeps and all the mental fatigue.

Kaida sat up and blinked twice, then looked at the empty space next to her.

She remembered the feeling of Maven's weight lifting off the bed and faintly remembered the sensation of his lips on her forehead as he kissed her goodbye, murmuring that he would see her later.

Eventually, Kaida worked herself up to move out of bed.

She swung her legs over the edge and paused.

She felt sore all over and laughed to herself as she gently stood.

Best to take it easy, she decided.

The flashbacks of the previous night filled her mind in waves and she was still smiling to herself as she slinked to the bathroom.

She gripped the edge of the sink, supporting her own weight, as she took in her own appearance.

Her hair was still neat but she decided to take the braids out, she wanted to feel her hair over her face.

Then Kaida's eyes fell to her neck and they became wide.

She pulled her shirt to the side to reveal a collage of dark brown bruises decorating their way across her lower neck and collarbone.

Kaida bit her lip as she traced her fingers delicately over them.

"Damn it, Maven."

She cursed but she couldn't hide the amusement in her voice.

————————————

Kaida finally set about her day, making sure the dress she wore was high-necked albeit still fitted and short sleeved due to the hotter summer climate that was quickly descending upon Archeon.

She briskly walked through the Palace, passing by the Red servants and patrolling Palace guards.

Maven's new Head Guard, Rhizo Elson was walking in the opposite direction to Kaida.

She looked him up and down.

Standing at 6 foot 5 inches, he was a mammoth of a man, always in head to toe black armour with a metal grating-like mask obscuring his features.

The only thing poking out were his heavy set brows on top of unyielding eyes, having all the depth and emotion of a bottomless black pit.

The sword at his side was so long the tip of it almost brushed the red carpet of the Palace hallways.

It was nearly as long as Kaida herself and she noticed the edge of it was glazed over in razor sharp ice.

Synonymous with his ability of ice manipulation.

Rhizo's cape swished from side to side as he marched.

Not all guards wore a cape but he did, and his was edged with a fine streak of gold, indicating his status.

Rhizo was the Guard of all Guards. The top dog.

As he and Kaida moved towards each other, Kaida felt the chill in the hallway increase and she visibly shivered, her breath coming out like a cloud in front of her.

He did that on purpose, to intimidate her?

Kaida wasn't too bothered, Silvers like him were not worth it.