Chapter 26

Several Months Later

The day of Kaida's coronation had arrived.

She stared at herself in the spotless mirrors as Jordani, previously of House Viper, constructed her garment around her.

Kaida had asked for him specifically. His talents could not go to waste after Elara's death.

She even contributed to the design herself.

With the billowing carmine hoop skirt encapsulating Kaida, there could be no doubt about her allegiance.

About what she was representing.

Pearls draped across her bodice, roaming from one end of the sweetheart neckline to the other.

Jewels were stitched in at the waist, further exaggerating her shape as the midsection was drawn all the way in.

The jewels and gems glittered spectacularly with the focal point being a gigantic and precious marquise shaped ruby hanging down her front.

Many more crystals were attached to this one, cascading down in a shimmering waterfall.

The peak of Summer had passed, now shifting to slightly cooler temperatures, so much so, that Kaida could get away with a billowed sleeve.

"Gloves or no gloves?"

Jordani delicately held up a solid silk set, of the purest arctic white.

Kaida was in split minds about it.

"No gloves."

She quickly decided.

"And now for the finishing touch."

Jordani places rings on her fingers, and pins diamonds to her ears.

He gracefully navigates around Kaida, to her back and fits even more diamonds on her neck, his hands moving fast and with expertise.

There was no doubt Kaida was the most expensive looking Queen to grace Norta's history.

This had been purposefully construed, so people would break down the stereotype of Reds being poor and common.

The Council insisted.

Only on this day, would she serve as their doll.

Kaida was adamant however, that it could not be tacky.

Jordani stepped back admiring his work.

"Well, there is one last, last finishing touch."

He glanced at the empty spot above Kaida's head.

Her curls had been pinned into a classy updo around which a crown could sit.

"It is time."

Jordani helps Kaida out of the chamber, where she is met by handmaidens who collect her train, along with Cal and Lord Macanthos.

Cal had been crowned months earlier, almost instantly upon his arrival back in Archeon.

A Kingless country was no good at all.

Jordani steals another moment with them.

"They will forget. The people will forget Elara and Maven. They will treat them like a dark stain which will fade over time. But we, we will never forget."

Jordani's grey eyes peer into Kaida and Cal's.

He was right. Talk had died down so quickly, and the last chapter of the former King's book was shut.