Chapter 4

Kaida was sitting alone in the accommodations, her hands folded in her lap, lost in thought.

A few people came in and out, even Cleo swung by to ask her to join the other leaders later that night.

Kaida had agreed.

She idly kicked at the metal frame of the bunk bed opposite her.

It was soon time for The Scarlet Guard to come alive again, for their plans to kick into action.

She kept asking herself if she was ready, if she could do this.

Kaida sighed and was about to get up to leave when she caught Elias hovering in the doorway.

Rebels passed by behind him, their loud chatter growing fainter as they carried on down the hall.

"You've been avoiding me."

Elias crossed his arms casually.

"For obvious reason."

Kaida deadpanned.

Ever since he had kissed her, she made sure to steer clear of him, willing to sacrifice their friendship so as to not hurt him further.

It didn't work.

Elias was devastated at the thought of losing her as a friend, and he knew he fucked up.

He smoothed down his waves.

"I'm sorry Kaida. I was completely out of order."

Kaida looked across at him, several metres away.

She nods slowly.

"Okay. I just don't want things to be weird between us, and I definitely do not want to confuse you. I just want things to be normal...uncomplicated. We have a lot on our plates, this is the last thing we need."

Elias nods reluctantly.

On the outside he is the epitome of cool and collected but on the inside, a fire rages within him.

He wanted to object, to protest.

There was something between them. He wasn't insane.

It was just that he was willing to fight for it.

In Elias's bleak life thus far, Kaida really was the light that cut through the shadows.

The lightning bolt that cut through the gloom.

Kaida stood up, avoiding Elias's eyes.

"I have to go soon. It's beginning."

Elias wanted to scream, to curse. But he let the silence fall.

Just like a bolt, Kaida wanted to appear, sending volts coursing through his every cell, and then she wanted to vanish.

Always too quick for him to catch.

After all, storms don't last forever.

Elias approached her slowly, watching her face carefully.

He pointed at Kaida's hand.

"May I?"

Kaida held out her hand and Elias took it, and rose it to his lips.

He laid a delicate kiss on her knuckles, chasté and barely there.

He squeezed it tight.

"Good luck."

Elias whispered against her hand, his breath fanning across the smooth brown skin.

And before Elias could get carried away again, he left quickly, ducking out.

Kaida blinked and he was gone.

She shook her head sadly.

Elias would be the perfect match...for some other girl. It's a shame it wasn't her.

There was only one person who Kaida wanted to see now.

She looked up at the clock in anticipation.

__________________________________

Author's notes :

I feel very bad for Elias, he just can't catch a break

However, things are starting to get very interesting, the next chapter is probably one of my favourites and I'm so excited!

Tune in next week to see Kaida back in the Palace 👀👀👀👀

Thank you so much for reading, and don't forget to vote, comment and share! It all goes a long way x