Chapter 10

Kaida's dinner that night with her father and Lord Macanthos was pleasant.

It was semi-formal and the conversation flowed between them as they drank and ate merrily.

It was followed by a relaxed stroll around central Archeon, as Kaida pointed out landmarks and dropped facts, much to her father's surprise.

As the night wound to an end, Kaida was left alone with the Captain.

He was set to leave for their hometown in exactly 2 days.

Kaida was determined for them to spend some time together and wish him a proper goodbye.

"Well, this is basically it, kiddo."

Her father stopped her in front of the town square, as a sculpted statue looked down on them.

There was a twinkle in his dark brown eyes, the same shade as hers.

"I leave early on Thursday morning. I respect your decision to stay, even though I would have preferred for you to come home, much to the King's wrath."

The Captain stroked his course and curly beard as he let out a small laugh.

Not that he was scared of Maven, but he would rather not be at odds with the fire bender who had captured Kaida's heart.

"Please, Kaida. Take care of yourself. I have protected you until now, perhaps too much. But you've found your footing. You have your freedom. Me and your mother trust you. Do not make us regret it, alright?"

Kaida nodded

"Alright."

Her voice was full of confidence.

Her father put out a hand for her to shake and she rolled her eyes and went in for the hug.

They hugged tightly.

"We expect to see you before the year is over. I'm proud of you, my girl."

With these words, her father left her.

———————————-

Past 12am, Kaida found her way back to Maven.

Their previous strife quickly forgotten about when their eyes met.

He had barely let her step foot into his room before he was all over her, peppering her with hot kisses.

Kaida pulled back, admiring him, as she dragged her thumb slowly across his bottom lip.

It was one of her favourite features of his, unbelievably soft and plump.

She tiptoed up to peck him continuously, and Maven was almost taken aback.

He was not used to such attention and the only thing he could do was laugh.

This was quickly ceased when he felt Kaida's lips on his neck.

She was using his own moves on him, trailing wet kisses over the sensitive skin.

She smiled when she felt him get hotter, when she felt his hands grasping at her, almost digging into her skin.

It was working.

Maven pulled her head back, his hand cupping the back of her neck.

"You are playing a dangerous game."

Kaida blinked innocently.

Maven effortlessly hoisted her up as she let out a yelp.

Before she knew it, her back had collided with the mattress as she bounced on it.