Chapter 9

Kaida marched through the corridors of the Palace, each of her steps thumping.

Her brown eyes were narrowed as she climbed the staircase, after which she took several turns.

She was focused, blurring out the faces of the passing Silvers.

She did not want to lose any of the emotion she had restrained in Elara's presence, she was furious.

Kaida was suddenly halted as someone stood directly in front of her, this was no ordinary passing Silver.

Kaida's mind, which was far away, suddenly snapped back to her as a flash of recognition crossed her eyes.

"Oh, Evangeline!"

Evangeline was gracefully poised in front of Kaida, as she stood with both her hands behind her back.

Her moonlight hair was encapsulated in a long and large fishtail braid that hung over her left side.

Her style today was pushed even more towards the combat style.

Evangeline's shoulders were embellished with short silver spikes and half of her military cropped jacket was covered in a smooth armour chest plate, so shiny Kaida could see her own reflection in it.

She wore a mid-length wrap skirt, a gun metal grey colour to match the shade of her jacket.

At her side was a thin little sword in a slim black sheath.

"Are you going to marry Maven?"

Evangeline was deadpan and serious, as always.

"Umm...Hi Evangeline. It is so nice to see you again, especially after the attack at the Palace, which also led to my eventually kidnapping. Oh, I'm doing fine, thanks for asking."

Sarcasm dripped off Kaida's voice.

Evangeline's grey eyes rolled skywards.

"You know I am not one for pleasantries. Or small talk."

Kaida shouldn't have expected much.

"Are you going to marry Maven?"

Evangeline repeated, trying to refrain from her usual venomous tone that always threatened to spill from her lips.

"Why do you care?"

"It is all I cared about. Has it not clicked yet?"

Evangeline couldn't hold back her scathing tone.

"If you marry King Maven, what does that make you? A Queen."

Kaida had not even considered it and now Evangeline was spelling it out for her, very clearly.

Kaida shook her head, trying to find the words to convey her feelings.

It's not like she actually wanted to be Queen.

She always saw herself by Maven's side, but only in the shadows, leaving him as the lone figurehead ruling the Kingdom.

Kaida was content with no titles.

"Congratulations. You won. I was too busy focused on Mare, that I did not see you. You were always the biggest threat. And now Maven is King and refuses to court or entertain any of the other girls."

Evangeline continued herself, deciding Kaida was taking too long to reply.

"Who would have thought Cal's actions would change the course of history."

Evangeline was still deadpan, her voice not wavering.

"I won? I wasn't playing a game, Evangeline. I was not competing to be Queen. I do no want to be."