Chapter 17

Maven dons an all black ensemble.

He looks uniform, the black of his hair matching the black of his clothes and even the black of his heart which had been slowly decaying the more time he spent in silence and solitude.

He pulled on a black balaclava to obscure his face and protect him from the windchill.

The only thing visible were his vacantly beautiful eyes, which appeared hard and piercing.

His brows were furrowed in an absolute determination.

A Red maid draped a blood red cape over his shoulders which doubled as a hood.

Maven pulled his leather gloves tight as he climbed the stone steps to one of the high ivory towers of the Palace.

Rhizo Elson followed close behind him as they stepped out into the glaring midday Sun.

From here, the view was astonishing.

The pale circular architecture of Archeon faded into the jagged rust coloured Stilts.

On one side, a direct path to the ocean. Ships  bobbed on the horizon where the salty sea met the sky.

One the other side, the roads interconnected as they led out of the city into the country lands, which were flat and barren in landscape. Appearing the same straw colour.

Maven stuck out like a sore thumb as he took in the view briefly.

A distinct screech was heard as Maven approached Osarion, who had been waiting patiently, perfectly perched on the ledge of the tower.

His wings were tucked in and his clawed legs were folded into his body.

The dragon had grown at an alarming rate and still was not anywhere close to its true size.

Once he had grown big enough to ride, Maven decked him out in a black armour chest plate to match his inky scales.

The metal was light weight, just a precautionary measure.

A dragon's scales were pretty much impenetrable.

Osarion stood eagerly as his rider patted him, shaking off his slumber.

He flapped open his wings, revealing his impressive wingspan and stood at his full height, ready to be of service.

"My King, I do not advise this journey. I-"

Rhizo is cut off as Maven whips around and holds a concealed blade he had conjured to Rhizo's throat.

The blade is supercharged hot and Rhizo protects his neck with a solid graft of ice.

The blade hisses against the cold.

The sudden motion happens so quick that Rhizo's tongue ties instantly, becoming lead in his mouth.

Maven tilts his neck up with the blade as it melts through the ice and presses against his jugular.

"You do not speak to me."

Rhizo clamps his mouth shut.

Maven was tired of hearing all the voices, and he had enough.

The only time anyone was permitted to speak was if they had information about the Guard.

Maven lowers the blade and turns his back, mounting Osarion in one fluid movement.

They look fearsome together, elegant but most definitely lethal.

He puts his hood up.

"I will return within 48 hours."

Maven spared a look to Rhizo and then turns his attention away, focusing on Osarion.