Chapter 5

King Maven sits upon the blackwood throne with his chin resting on top of his clenched fist, supported by his elbow on the arm rest of the intricate wooden carvings.

His day so far had been rather boring and he had a disinterested look plastered on his face.

It was a day in Court where people come forward with their problems.

Maven easily solved them all, his sharp mind and quick wit proving very effective.

There is a concession and Maven finds his mind wondering.

He looks off to the side, exposing his sharp jawline.

He is completely relaxed, his long legs spread open, filling the seat completely.

Court resumes once more.

There are murmurs from the Silver nobles as a man is dragged in from the left.

The stranger makes quite a fuss and his auburn brown hair is in disarray.

Red blood drips from a busted eye, an indication of his resistance.

Maven becomes alert, his sharp blue eyes following the stumbling man as he is eventually brought to his knees before Maven.

The King looks the man up and down.

He is doubled over in front of the alabaster steps leading up to the throne.

"Your Grace, the patrols caught him early this morning, in the Southside of the Stilts. We have identified him to be Leader Yeun - a close associate of Diana Farley. He is Scarlet Guard scum. A rebel."

Maven's eyes flash wide with intrigue, before he regains his passive demeanour.

He stands and takes slow steps down from the throne, until he is standing right in front of the captured rebel.

Leader, from his position, can see Maven's polished black shoes against the white floor as his head is forced down into a subservient position.

"His name is Leader. Huh. Leader of what exactly?"

Maven laughs as he looks down at the chained man.

Leader dares to look up, meeting the eyes of the King.

Maven takes a step back and folds his arms, becoming serious after the initial provocation.

"Where is the Scarlet Guard base?"

Leader remains silent.

"Where is Kaida?"

Leader does nothing but glare.

Out of nowhere, a sharp blow knocks Leader down, his mouth quickly fills with blood.

"Speak when you are spoken to."

Maven's new Head Guard, an imposing man known as Rhizo of House Elson used his armoured hand to punch the helpless man who coughed and spluttered.

Rhizo had a fearsome reputation, quickly becoming one of the best ice-benders from his House.

He dedicated his whole life to serving, to the King's Guard.