Chapter 23

Osarion lets out an almighty heave and sapphire flame sprays from his mouth between his razor sharp teeth as he arcs his gigantic head from left to right.

It engulfs Cal in an eruption of fire.

Cal can only defend as his usual orange flames break through the scorching blue prison Maven tried to place him in.

He has to keep moving, as he darts and skids, trying to use the flat terrain to his advantage.

He shields his eyes from the brightness of it all, while also covering his face.

Maven sees Cal is up against it and comes in heavy, he manipulates the dragon fire in an awesome spiralling halo above his head and whips it at his older brother.

The burning tendrils hit Cal and recoil with a snap, releasing kelvins of heat.

They can handle the heat, but the others can't, the air and smoke almost overwhelming.

Kaida's breath catches in her throat.

She can barely see, but she steps forward only for Farley to grab her arm holding her back.

"Let them fight. They need this."

It would be suicide to try and step in now. Farley was protecting Kaida.

Kaida knew this deep down and she knew she just had to let this happen.

She watches the determination on both their faces, each of them having a point to prove.

In truth, this was a long time coming.

Kaida was watching on, the scenes reflecting from the brown mirror of her eyes, when a stray shot of fire curves into her path.

She ducks and rolls as it blasts past her.

Farley grabs Kaida and the still stunned Cleo, pulling them further back to some degree of safety.

The dual between Cal and Maven continues and grows even more ferocious.

The minutes of non-stop attack stretch on into what feels like hours to Kaida.

She cannot stand it, but there was no interfering when it was fire against fire.

Blood against blood.

Cal finally finds his groove, after the shaky start. His years of battle prowess finally making an emergence.

He thinks smart, dragging Maven away from his troops and away from Osarion, closer to him.

Cal conceals his position, dancing within the pockets of procured flames and infernos.

Bouts of blue and orange collide and light up the courtyard.

Finally, Cal sees an opening and he gets close enough to grab Maven by his collar.

Their eyes lock, ice and fire mingling through their gazes.

When Cal peers into Maven's depths he beholds so much anger, pain and even startling fear.

It confuses Cal and his head becomes cloudy, his thoughts jumbling.

Now was the chance, Cal could end it. Cal could finish him.

He could...

"Maven."

Cal seems to plead but Maven narrows his eyes and in the next second their trance was broken, the bond severed.

Osarion lets out a defensive screech at seeing Cal's hands on Maven and whips his spiked tail at Cal who is forced to retreat.