CHAPTER 21

THIRD PERSON POV:

She was jumping up and down in joy as she crossed the road with the most prized possession of hers. She kissed the small trophy, her smile spreading. But once she saw her house from far, all the happiness drained out of her. She stopped for a while keenly listening. 

The trees rustled in the afternoon breeze, squirrels were playing around the branches, the neighbourhood had a quiet and pleasant day. 

But she knew better than that. For her, it was anything but pleasant. She entered the house and her face scrunched up at the odour. It smelled nasty and disgusting. She was still not used to it despite living there for eight years. It was so dark and she looked around to find a man passed out on the couch.

Her breathing hitched and she hoped to make it to her room without any noise. But luck was not on her side. She stepped on some liquid falling down with a thud. Thankfully, her backpack saved her head from getting hurt. 

The man on the couch sat up looking around for the noise. His hard gaze fell on the little girl with pigtails as she struggled to get up. He dashed across the room picking her up by her collar with ease. 

"What do you think you are doing?", his breath and stench made her throw up. She controlled it knowing it would end up bad.

"Daddy, I...I was....", she stammered.

BANG!!

She was thrown across the room, her back hitting the wall. She whimpered afraid to even cry in front of him. He snickered removing his belt while nearing the little girl. 
"I'm bored. I was wondering when will you return home from whoring around. Shall we play a little?", he asked raising his arms high. She heard these words frequently, not knowing what it meant.

She never had the time to prepare when her first blow came down her back. She screamed not able to bear the sting. She tried scampering away from him but he pulled her by her hair.
"QUIET!", he yelled giving a second blow. Her whole body shook as he threw the belt away, picking her up. He laid her on the couch, kissing her forehead.

"Stay, do not leave the house. I'll be back in three days. Find your own meal", he then left locking the front door from outside, making it look like nobody was home. She cried, her whole body shaking.

She was not getting used to this. Her mommy too left her right after she was born. 
Why?! God, why??

"Lily?!", she heard an angelic voice. She cried harder.
"LILY!!!", she heard it again, shooting up from the couch.

"LILY!!!", Eric shook her body hard. He was panicking seeing her scream and cry. She opened her eyes panting and they landed on her husband. She sobbed trying to forget her nightmare. It has been so long since it stopped. She never thought that it would happen again.

"Eric?", she said confused as she was not at her house. 
"It's me, sweetheart. You're safe. Don't worry, I got you", he said moving her hair from her forehead.
"ERIC!", she lunged at him, crushing him into her. Eric kept assuring her, saying sweet things in her ear. 

She calmed down after a while and was afraid of Eric finding about her. What would he do? No one knew except her grandparents. Would he leave her? 

The thoughts kept revolving in her head until Eric pecked her lips.
"Sweetheart, what happened?", he asked gently.

"I..I j....just.....It was just a nightmare...", she mumbled deciding to not tell him. 
However, Eric seemed unconvinced but he decided to let it slide. After all, she was more important to him than some fucked up nightmare.