Ignition

“The gold eye shadow naturally compliments your olive skin tone, you should wear it more often,” Lexi babbles as she brushing sparkling shimmer on my lids. We’re back at the apartment and Lexi has been gracious enough to let me infringe on her natural abilities in the art of glamour. 

“I doubt that I will but thanks for getting me ready, usually Jenna helped me get pretty,” I say as Lexi swirls around me, this time prepping a piece of hair through the straightener.

“Well I feel honored to fill in during her absence- okay one last strand and there you go! You, my dear, are date ready.”

I stand up to look myself over in the mirror. My dark brown hair is ironed straight and tucked back slightly behind my head. I have gold and deep brown shadows across my eyes, a slight bronzed blush on my cheeks, and just a hint of winged liner. Lexi let me borrow a short black dress from her closet with long sleeves and a deep back.

“Wow, you do good work Lex. Thank you again.” I say as I stare at my reflection. I clean up nice if I do say so myself, "Are you sure the short dress is okay?"

Lexi plops down on her bed, exhausted from all her hard work. “It'll do you good to show a little leg. So you excited for your date? David is so hot with the whole mysterious bad buy thing, I’m totes jealous.”

“We’re just friends catching up, that’s all.”

Lexi shakes her head, “Oh it is so a date, you look way too hot for it to be ‘just friends.’ Is it your first date since you-know-who?”

“It’s my first official one, yah.”

“Ha! You just admitted it was a date,” Lexi squeals right as the doorbell rings.

“No, wait I did not-,” I stutter.

“Oh quit your rambling and go get the door, your man is waiting.”

“Fine,” I sigh, “See you later.”

I press my dress down one more time and go to get the door. It was a strange revelation; I had never actually been on a date with a guy who actually picked me up at my front door instead of my window.

“Hello Ms. Caslon, why don’t you look dashing tonight,” David grins as I open the door. He’s wearing a grey button down, black jeans, a leather jacket, and black high tops. His hair is brushed neatly to the side.

“Same for you sir,” I smile as I take his arm. David escorts me down the stairs to where his black Camaro is parked.

“What happened to the motorcycle?” I say as David gets my door.

“I still have it. I just know how much you hate it so I decided to take one of my other rides.”

Other rides? How many cars does he have exactly?

David drives for a while and we listen to the radio. It’s nice, it almost reminded me of old times. Finally, we pull up to some fancy restaurant on the east side of town, just by the water.

“Okay, this looks way too nice,” I say as we sit down at the table. Suited waiters bustle around carrying wine bottles and finely dressed patrons munch on steak and caviar.

“Let’s just say I’ve come into some cash lately.”

Oh yes, his hero-for-hire bit. The thing where he’ll do anything the client requires for the right price, no matter the ethics behind it.

I decide not to bring it up, not tonight. “So how’s your family?”

“Good, really good actually. Can you believe Lila is already a sophomore?”