Chapter 9- Tournament of Heroes

When the world comes to sorts again I realize were back on stage at the Hall of Heroes. The audience erupts as we stand up and I learn that apparently we’re a crowd favorite.

In the middle of the room is a giant screen that is showing another team that I don’t recognize doing the same challenge. Everything has been reset and right now the team is battling the giant worm with not a lot of success.

Apparently we were the twelve team to go and our time was the second best, only behind that of Luke’s team. This means that despite there being four teams left to go we are already safe.

When we hear this Adam runs up and gives me a hug that lifts me off my feet and swings me around.

“Nice running,” I tell him. If it wasn’t for him we never would have made such good time.

“Thanks. Nice thinking out there. I never would have thought to hit the monster in the eye,” he says back.

“It was a lucky guess,” I say honestly. Then Zane walks over to us offering us both high-fives.

I’m shocked by the sudden change of attitude and Zane must pick up on this. “Thank you,” he tells me, “For coming back for me.”

“No problem,” I tell him, “That’s what teammates do.”

Zane smiles and then offers an apologetic look, “I’m sorry though for how I’ve been acting. I never should have called you useless. I was just upset when I first heard you don’t have any powers and sometimes I can get kind of-.”

“Moody?” I smile and Zane laughs, “Don’t worry about. We good though?”

Zane thinks it over for a second, “Yah, we’re good.”

I can’t help but be happy. We won and my team’s finally getting along. Apparently not all the teams are as lucky. Everyone seems to be yelling at each other, well everyone except Luke and I’s teams.

When Alex’s team got done with their challenge she literally stomped across the stage and went to sulk in the corner. Being her best friend here I figured it was my duty to go comfort her.

Apparently she had to do all the work. Her A hit his head in the first section of the race and had to be carried and then Noah got swallowed by a worm. Her team almost got eliminated but barely won by a few seconds. She almost seemed to be fuming, which is really hard for an ice element to do.  

“At least you’re a crowd favorite,” I try to reassure her. Alex gives me a confused look and I point to the giant screen which has been showing highlights. She’s in a good amount of them. “You’re a former villain with an attitude; the crowd eats that stuff up.”

Alex laughs. “It’s probably just because I fill out this costume so well,” she jokes although it could possibly be true.

I’m glad to see Alex in a better mood and I go to talk to Luke. I have to wait though because Ultraman is talking to him. He’s offering Luke a lot of praise, which doesn’t go unnoticed by the other competitors.