"Dang you're heavy."

.

“Brian wait up,” I yelled after him. I had to practically sprint to keep up with his long strides.

“No time for that, we need to be at the North Anthem Bridge now," he barked back, not even bothering to slow down.

“What’s wrong with the bridge?” I asked following at his heels.

“It’s falling down.”

Brian pushed through the main doors of the school; his black mustang was already parked out front. I slid into the passenger seat and in no time we were on the main street.

“Brian slow down, were not going to get to the North Bridge any faster if we wreck,” I said as calmly as I could. Brian had a notorious lead-foot when he needed to be somewhere.

Brian mumbled something incomprehensible but we slowed down to only slightly speeding. Then something crossed my mind.

“Brian don’t you think Mrs. Linelson will notice when I don’t come back?”

Brian smirked, breaking his serious mood, but it didn’t reach his eyes. “Don’t worry I did some real work on her, she won’t remember anything.”

I thought it over for a second. “Do you think you could make that a permanent thing?”

Brian actually laughed this time. I was completely serious but I guess I was going to have to take that as a no.

Brian pressed a button on his dash and the whole car started to vibrate. It was converting from his mustang to the decked-out Brianmobile. Armor covered the exterior and a police monitor popped up from his inner console.

Brian pressed another button which I assumed was the autopilot. “We should probably change.”

Brian's costume consisted of a black body armour shirt, one that he always wore underneath his clothes, and navy blue mesh shorts. My Anthem Girl costume, like always, was packed snuggly away in my backpack and all I had to do was pull over the teal jacket and tie my tennis shoes. A few minutes later we had made the change from average high schoolers to teen superheroes.

The second I slipped on my mask I felt a wave of comfort wash over me. It was like becoming a whole different person. Sure, sometimes I was still afraid when I fought crime but putting on my mask gave me this whole new wave of confidence; as if I could stand up to anyone, beat anyone. I was no longer the meek wallflower who hid in the background; I was Anthem Girl, teenage superhero, crimefighter, heroine. Nothing could stop me... 

“Oh no,” I muttered to myself.

“What’s wrong?” Brian looked at me with alarm.

“I forgot my belt. I was in such a rush this morning I forgot to pack it.” I growled.

Brian sighed; in an emergency like this you didn’t really want to be shorthanded. “Its ok, you’ll do fine without it.”

I only nodded half-heartedly. Brian didn’t understand. My tool belt was my thing, the only thing that gave me any edge whatsoever. It was as if he had forgotten how to levitate things or Luke forgot how to fly.

I would just have to make do...

When we got to the bridge I gasped. It was as if someone had taken a giant axe and chopped it right down the middle. The near side stood upright, as if perfectly fine, but on the far side some of the support beams were missing and the bridge was leaning at a wierd angle, as if it might collapse at any moment.

Brian skidded to a stop and we jumped out of the car, Luke and Ricky were already there.

“Quick,” Brian ordered, “Luke, come with me and let's try to help hold up the bridge, Ricky go to the other side and see if you can re-enforce the support beams. Dante- uh do what you can.”