Chapter Two

James looked at Kyle's face and saw the sadness that he felt whenever he thought about who else could be lying right next to him. He thought of Danny and his beautiful, dark hair that was incredibly soft. The amazing smile that had melted his heart. Everything about Danny seemed so perfect because now James was stuck in the past. The now no longer existed without Danny, only the past.

"Hey, love." Kyle said in his British accent while his hazel eyes opened. "Are you okay?"

"I'm just thinking about some things." James starred at the ceiling.

This is what James had gotten for ending it with Danny. A manuscript for a book he couldn't get published and a green card wanting boyfriend. This is what James was in. The military was fun for a while but he missed Danny so much.

The phone rang and it was Kat, of course.

"Hello, sis." James said groggily.

"I saw Danny." Kat said.

"What?!" James shot up from the bed. "What do you mean you saw him?! Isn't he in Harvard?!"

"Well, yeah and I moved near Harvard." Kat said. "Though I can't believe I haven't run into him until today. Anyways he's single and he's going to be at my wedding so get your ass over here."

James looked at Kyle and sighed.

"You know I have a boyfriend, right?" James said,

"This is Danny Knowles." Kat said. "Danny freaking Knowles! The boy of your dreams! The guy you would do anything for. I know you would James. I know you'll come so I don't and shouldn't even try to convince you. You're coming and you know you are."

"God, I hate it when you're right." James rolled his eyes.

"Can't wait to see you then, little brother." Kat hung up the phone.

"Who was that?" Kyle said rubbing his eyes.

"No one." James smiled.

"Okay." Kyle chuckled and wrapped his arms around James. "Are you sure?"

"Remember to come to my wedding!" The voicemail box boomed out of nowhere.

"A wedding?" Kyle raised an eyebrow to James.

"Yeah, and we are going!" James said with fake enthusiasm.

"Of course, we are." Kyle kissed him. "Finally, I get to meet your family."

"Yeah..." James opened the curtains letting the light from the sign shine on the beautiful San Diego beach house that he owned.

"Okay, so whose your sister marrying again?" Kyle licked his spoon filled with chocolate pudding. "I honestly don't remember or did you ever tell me?"

"I probably told you at some point but does it really matter?" James shrugged. "She's getting freaking married! I mean, come on! That's all that matters."

"Details are important, honey." Kyle sat on James's lap. "Like who else is going to be there?"

"The rest of my extended and embarrassingly proud and confident family." James smiled.

"Sounds like fun." Kyle raised an eyebrow and looked at James. "Who else is going to be there?"

"No one else." James lied.

"Well, can't wait to go with you." Kyle said.

_________

James looked for the car keys as Kyle got ready for going to see Kat. She wanted him and Kyle to get there early. This meant that Kyle needed to get all the crap that he "needed". The only thing keeping James sane was the fact he was going to see Danny. He couldn't wait to see him. He wondered whether his feelings for Kyle would go away once he sees Danny. This thought in turn made him wonder if the spark was even still there.

Time to go back home.

________

James woke up Kyle from his beauty sleep. They'd made it back to the small little town he'd grown up in. The house with the roof that was where Danny and him would watch the stars.

"Why are you staring at your roof, love?" Kyle asked as he got out of the car.

"Memories..." James smiled again.

"Never seen that smile before." Kyle said. "I like it."

"Yeah..."

The prospect of seeing Danny again was like a high to James. He couldn't help but be excited at the thought. The thought made him feel euphoria so he could only imagine what it would be like to see him again. It's been four years...

"Why if it isn't my little brother!" Kat came out of the house along with his mom, dad, and his two older brothers, Damon and Adam.

"So this is your family?" Kyle said as he walked up to Kat.

"You must be..." Kat said waiting for him to finish the sentence.

"Kyle, James's boyfriend." He said smiling.

That's when everyone in James's family said "ohhhh" simultaneously. This made James hit his head in embarrassment. Kyle just took it in stride. After the introductions, James's family started to bombard Kyle with questions of what their future plans were . Kyle took all the questions and politely answered them with dreams of future plans James never thought they had. Eventually Kat grabbed James and dragged him to his old room.

"What the hell?!" Kat exclaimed silently.

"Yeah, I forgot to mention that." James said awkwardly.

"You can't meet Danny if you already have a boyfriend, ass!" Kat started to hit his brother. "Why the fuck would you even bring him?!"

"He insisted." James looked away from his sister.

"Look at me idiot!" Kat grabbed James and turned him around. "Break up with him or you're never going to meet up with..."

Before she could finish her sentence she got a call. It was of course Danny.

"Oh hi Danny." Kat said happily as though what just happened with James never happened.

James sprung from his seat hoping to hear the voice of the love of his life.

"A plus one."

James sat down.

"Who is it may I ask? Ohhhhh. Well, I'm happy for you. Sure you can! Anyways can't wait to see you."

Kat looked at James with sadness in her eyes.

"I guess not." Kat shrugged.

"What do you mean?!" James wanted to know now what Danny was talking with Kat about.

"He has a boyfriend."

James looked at the ceiling and just stared at it. He fucked it up and this was his punishment.