Chapter Three

Danny felt his heart pumping and danced to the rhythm of the music. James was dancing with him. He really wasn't expecting this night to be like this at all. To see the handsome popular boy dancing along with him. It bothered Danny though. The fact that he couldn't have James. James must've read it in his face because he told him a joke that made Danny smile.

He knew about James for a while now. Sneaking glances at him as James went to his locker to get his stuff or the time James was practicing on his football field. Danny always walked by the football field watching the boy of his fantasies playing with a football and being a jock. He had to admit that that was what James was supposed to be. Just a fantasy.

Danny saw Jame's eyes focus on the bar where the girls were supposed to be. They were gone of course which left James and Danny alone on the dance floor. Danny just blushed, feeling a mixture of anxiety, anger, and relief. The relief came from the fact that this meant he had James to himself. But not really since James had a girlfriend.

"Let's go!" James shouted over the music.

Danny was surprised to hear those words. It was odd seeing as they had only danced for a while and barely knew each other. James probably even forgot Danny's name. Right now Danny was more curious as to why James wanted to leave with him alone and not look for his sister. But before he could ask James about his strange request he was taken out of the club by the strong and firm grip that held his hand. Once outside James led him to his car which in contrast to Mell's car was red and beautiful. It glistened against the colorful light that glimmered from the Sainted sign. James invited Danny inside and James turned to him.

"Do you go to my school?" James asked Danny.

Danny felt a bit awkward but answered nonetheless," Yeah."

"Oh, sorry." James said. "I just rarely see anyone outside the clique that I'm trapped in."

"I can't tell." Danny chuckled.

"I know you!" James exclaimed as though he had just gotten an epiphunie. "You're Danny the boy genius!"

"Oh God no!" Danny had completely forgotten about the YouTube video his sister had posted over the summer about Danny answering random questions. It was kind of embarrassing if you consider the fact that Danny was high the whole time and saying the weirdest shit. "You saw that!"

"Yeah, of course." James smiled. "You're definitely a genius if not a bit paranoid but weed isn't for everyone right?"

Danny just stared ahead feeling angry at Mell for posting that video. Towards the end he started to behave as though his life was a lie. It didn't help that they saw The Truman Show beforehand. It really freaked him out but then he remembered in the video how he was staring out the window thinking the dog catcher's white van actually had federal agents in it and he laughed.

"You're finally laughing again." James smiled. "You seemed so deep in thought that I'd never thought you would actually smile."

"Oh, sorry." Danny looked out the window seeing where James was taking him.

The neighborhood was rather unfamiliar to him. It felt like rich people lived here or at least upper middle class. The houses where big and everything seemed even more glamorous and fantasy like.

"Want to come to my room?" James asked him.

Danny took a moment to take in what was happening. He sort of hated the situation yet loved it at the same time. He didn't know what was going on. Deciding not to overthink this Danny nodded and they went upstairs to James room. It was a typical jock's room for the exception of his extensive collection of books. A series of books stood out front the rest of them. They were the books Danny read to calm himself down and were somewhat his guilty pleasure. He relished on the fictional lives the characters in the books enjoyed. Savoring the drama and loving every single sweet scene involving Tim and Ben. He grabbed the orange book enjoying the touch of the paperback and the image of Tim standing beside his beautiful car and the blue shoes that stood out in the cover.