13. Convincing Veteran

Continuing to be progressively flustered once more from the forgoing events, Veteran searched rather hesitantly around the interior of The Skeld, looking for a hint of crimson to show.   

He figured he could cool and control his outburst and temper, by simply strolling around, which worked surprisingly well, combined with taking deep inhales and exhales every now and then.

He had thoroughly checked through every area and couldn't identify him...at least he was absolutely certain he had.

From a surprisingly short distance away, the sounds of loud wails and weeping were very audible to the yellow bean, and he decided to investigate further by following where it lead to.

He peeked around the corner of Admin where the noise drew the loudest, and discovered a curled up bean, a pool of salty tears beside him.

Veteran: Player?

Player gradually widened his visor upon hearing Veteran return, his vision blurry from the tears residing on the lower half. He slowly repositioned himself so that he sat upright, however he bent his knees upwards and wrapped his invisible arms around them, still showing signs of dolefulness.

Player: Veteran? I thought you'd never wanna see me again, after what I did to you! Don't you think I'm still a piece of garbage?

Veteran: I do...

His firm response gave Player a difficult time to stomach, and was almost returning to blubber another stream of tears, before Veteran could even finish.

Veteran: ...but, I'm willing to tell you my side of the story, if you stop whimpering like a little baby.

Player never anticipated after his recent paroxysm, that Veteran would enlighten him on the details and perked up, following his order by wiping away some of the tears still present. 

He eventually regained his composure and didn't let his current emotions roam free. He was ready for whatever Veteran planned to say.

Player: Okay, I'm all ears, buddy.

Veteran gave off a slight twitch to the word "buddy". He knew it wasn't beneficial to go into a fit of rage, despite his doubts, given that Player had only just recovered from his mental breakdown.

Veteran: Uh... Yeah... 

He then proceeded to paint a picture in his mind for Player to comprehend.

Veteran: Anyways, you walked up to me like you were itching for a fight and-

Not even partway through his tale, Veteran heard an audible 'clanging' sound, and quickly turned around to witness BDay enter the room.

BDay: Oh, hey, Player! Didn't expect to see you still up, here! I assume you already convinced Veteran to vouch for you?

Unfortunately, much to his dismay, Player responded to his query by informing him of his troubles due to time constraints.

Player: Uh... No... Just, give me some more time, okay?

BDay: Come on, Player, let me kill him already, so you can finally get your first win!

Despite Player's urgent pleas, BDay was growing wearily impatient. He recalled how he mentioned BDay allowing the maximum amount of time necessary to convince everyone and was about to dispute, until Veteran interrupted in their own dilemma.

It was becoming all too clear for Veteran. The metallic thud, which signalled BDay travelling through the vents, the phrase "kill him" and the very fact that Player can achieve his lifelong goal because of it? He knew exactly what this meant.