Chapter 5

"Seems like the two of you are quite close to one another aren't you?" Archer asked. Looking at the paired-up Servants Assassin and Caster.

"Yes. I suppose you can say that we are quite close." Irisviel said with a small smile as she covered her mouth up a bit.

"It's not like I even wanted to..." Kiritsugu said dryly.

"What will it be then?" Archer asked as he brought out his notebook for he can get their orders out. Turns out Altria needed help in the kitchen and so he decided to help.

"Do you have any sweets?" Irisviel asked.

"Yes. I suppose you can say that we indeed have sweets. What would you like?"

"I'll just take a vanilla cake." Kiritsugu said.

"Me too." Irisviel said. "Thank you, Archer." Irisviel said with a smile.

"Anything else?"

"Black coffee." Kiritsugu said.

"I'll take it as well." Irisviel said.

"Okay. Nothing to eat? Like actual food?"

"No. That will be all." Irisviel said.

"Alright. I'll be back with your dessert as soon as I can." Archer said who proceeded to walk away. Leaving the two Servants alone. Irisviel just continued to smile at Kiritsugu who in the meantime remained stoic as ever.

"I've never been to a place like this. So it's great that I was able to have been summoned to Chaldea. I've always wanted to explore the whole world." Irisviel said.

"The world is full of many things. Both good and bad. Do you still wish to explore the place even knowing of what dangerous stuff lies ahead?" Kiritsugu asked the homunculus.

"Of course. As a homunculus. I was expected of many things. And I as well have wished to be outside the castle more often. And that wish was answered. By some miracle when Master went ahead and helped it come true."

"Mm."

"You as well feel it. Don't you? The connection between us." Irisviel asked.

"I don't understand it. Although I've never met you, there's an odd sense that I have. It's conflicting and odd but in the end, it's all but illusions..." Kiritsugu said with closed eyes.

"Hmm... Perhaps it's because of another lifetime. We both knew each other, alternate selves are possible given the multiverse expands into many infinite possibilities."

"The kaleidoscope." Kiritsugu inquired.

"Correct Kerry. That's why... As a terminal of the Grail. I have quite the knowledge of many things... The only reason I'm still here is thanks to you and all the others."

"Don't misunderstand. I just did what I thought was right... In a more effective manner." Kiritsugu said.

"You never fail to change..." Irisviel said with a sad smile. She looked up ahead and stared at Archer. "Neither does he." Irisviel said fondly.

"..."

"He's just like you. Isn't he?" Irisviel asked Kiritsugu.

"No. He's someone different. He aims for the happiness of others, all the while ignoring his happiness in life. Unlike him, he's causing his misery to increase as it'll break him down. But why he continues... It's enough to make me question why he does do." Kiritsugu said.

"He as well wanted to be a Hero you know?" Irisviel asked. "Though in the end... All that brought him was cruel despair. A life that will surely be lonely. At one point he's given up on his ideals. And although he may say he gave up being a Hero of Justice long ago. He still tries to save the people he can." Irisviel said.

"..."

"It's strange..." Irisviel said as she put her hand to her chest. "Looking at him. I feel a sense of sadness. Even so, I feel like he's part of us."

"Us?" Kiritsugu asked Irisviel.

"I feel something that I can't quite understand. It's like he should be a part of a family. Our family." Irisviel said with a small smile.

"Our family? Have you gone crazy?" Kiritsugu asked at the unexpected relationship he was just put into.

"No... Come to think of it. I also feel that when I look at the other child Servants. Miyu, Chloe, Illya as well. Perhaps they as well are my children. Given that Chloe and Illya both share names with me. It's possible they're children to another version of me. Not to mention alter ego as well..." Irisviel said fondly.

"Don't go ahead speaking crazy like all that." Kiritsugu said stoically.

Slam

"I now know what I must do!" Irisviel said with determined eyes. Kiritsugu can only sigh at the Grail's mischievous plan that she has just created. Surely it isn't any good either and he won't be able to stop her from having him be a part of her plan.

"Sorry for the delay. I've had other people to speak of their orders while maintaining my spot in the kitchen as well." Archer said with closed eyes after he put down two plates with a slice of cake and then two black coffee's down.

"Starting with you!" Irisviel said pointing at Archer out of nowhere.

"H-huh?" Confused at what Irisviel meant, Archer can only look at her in odd. "W-well I'll be on my way now—"

"Nope!" Irisviel grabbed Archer's hand before he was able to even fully turn around. "From now on, you're part of the family!" Irisviel said cheerfully.

"... What?" Archer can only sweat a bit as he looked at Kiritsugu with a, "What does she mean?" expression on his face.

"Don't look at me. I have no idea what's going on either." Kiritsugu said blankly as he took a bite out of his dessert. Enjoying the taste of sweetness.

"Worry not! Archer! From now on you're Archer Emiya!" Irisviel said.

"..." Archer can only freeze at the name.

"Ms. Irisviel... Please refrain from trying to call me that." Archer can only move away after her grip loosened on him. With a strained look, he adjusts his glasses once again and turns around. "I'm not looking for adoption any time soon."

"..." Irisviel can only look at Archer with a sad smile. "You really are like your father..." Irisviel said sadly. Whether Archer has heard her or not. He didn't react. She may or may not have looked into his memories when she grabbed a hold of him when he didn't know. She saw but a glimpse of a memory. Of a boy next to an older man under the night sky. Although the boy looks different now... It's no doubt that they're the same person.

But... That's not gonna stop her! She's determined to bring the Emiya family all together now!

She took a sip of her drink and once she drank it.

"Bleh. How do you like this stuff?" Irisviel asked Kiritsugu as she hates the bitter taste of the coffee.

"Hey. You ordered it not me."

"I just thought it'd be cute for us to get matching orders!" Irisviel said angrily. But she calmed down quickly. She saw from the corner of her eye Archer staring at the two with his back turned and his head tilted to the side to look at them. With a smile, he then turned his head back around and began walking away.

Irisviel then took a bite out of the cake and smiled.

He really is like his father.

"Leave your dream to me, I'll become a hero for you."

"Yeah... I'm relieved."

Irisviel can only look back at the memory she saw. So that's how his dream of becoming a Hero of Justice came from. From Kiritsugu. And that's also how the Kiritsugu of Archer's world died... On a smile on his face.

It was one of the only few memories she was able to catch a glimpse of. A winter night of a father and son staring under the bright moon. A boy who admired and told his father that he'll take his place.

-~-

Word Count: 1,303