Chapter 16

"How ya like that?"

"Impressive, blacksmith. Your work is no laughing matter."

"Darn right. Would ya care for a test?"

"No. That'll be fine. I already know that the weapon is a fine piece of work."

"If you say so. All I'm saying is that you should try learning to forge your very own weapon."

"I'm fine with my arsenal of weaponry." Archer said. Shrugging off the idea of forging his own blade. 

"You favor those short swords as always I see. Not that I can blame ya. I took a liking to them myself."

"That you created your variant."

"It's called reference. I couldn't help it." Senji shrugged with a smirk. His hand is on his hip as he sighs. "Still though, I feel like I could've done better. I'm not trying my best and it shows."

"Self-deprecation huh?" Archer asked. "Always thinking you're not good enough, or that you're highly critical of yourself."

"How would you know?"

"Idiotic question."

"Oh... Right. You were once my vessel as you say. Though that doesn't change the fact that of course, you would always be him."

"As much as I hate to admit it. Yes... You are correct. Though why must you push my buttons?" Archer asked with a bit of tension in his voice. His strained smile as he twitches violently.

"What can I say? It's humorous if you ask me."

"Pray tell what's humorous?" Archer said, his arm stretched out as his palm began sparking with mana.

"Relax kid. Just joking with ya." Senji said defensively.

"Don't think that just because I tolerate you, doesn't mean I won't finish you off if you try anything."

"Hmm? Finish me off?" Senji snorted. "I think you mean the other way around." Senji said back to Archer. Both of them glared into each other's eyes, visually, if anyone passing by saw them, they would see sparks flaring between the two of them as they stared down at each other.

"Yes. Just because you're helping out Master does not mean that I trust you ever so lightly. Not you, not the Alter Ego, nor the Assassin. In my eyes, and from a few others, you're still seen as a danger and target if needed to be dealt with." Archer said calmly, yet his voice held a bit of venom.

"Things were different. I just did what I was told. I'm no Alter Ego, nor am I am enemy to humanity. Now, I'm just here following orders and continuing with my work." Senji retorted back.

"Yet your nature didn't stop you from working with the foreign god now did it? If anything else, you're just another target I should eliminate."

"Then why haven't ya? If anything else, you could have gotten the chance multiple times when Master or anyone else wasn't looking."

"I have my reason..." Archer said, turning away.

"It's them, isn't it?" Senji asked.

"..."

"The King of Knights. The Goddess Ishtar, Parvati, so forth. That's why you can't bring yourself to do it. Can you?" Senji asked. "Because you know that you cause more harm if you do what you do." Senji said, seeing through Archer's invisible barrier that keeps him shrouded in mystery of what he thinks.

"What makes you think it's them who limits my abilities to do what I want to do?" Archer asked with a frown. Staring at Senji in the eyes. "Just because of a few people close to me, you think I won't eliminate you if you were to ever turn your back on us, and the rest?" Archer said.