1

✰

Aslaug screamed in pain as another contraction hit. It was her fourth child, her three sons sat outside with their father and uncle, listening to their mother's screams. Thunder boomed all throughout the night, the queen's labour had started midway through the night, Ragnar said that it was Thor welcoming his new son into the world.

Although he regretted how things had ended with Lagertha, having a very fertile wife who provided him many sons was something he enjoyed. Bjorn and Rollo sat beside him, none of the men had been allowed in the chambers, Aslaug not-so-politely telling the men to get out.

"Does it usually take this long?" Ubbe asked, his three-year-old self stumbling a bit over the words. The little boys were so excited to meet their new sibling, Bjorn was happy to meet another as well, none ever quite filling the hole that Gyda left.

Ragnar shook his head playfully and lifted the boy by the armpits so he was rested on his father's lap. "No, your new brother is taking his time." There wasn't a doubt in Ragnar's mind that it was a boy, after all the seer had predicted that he would have many sons, never mentioned a daughter. After Gyda, the thought of a daughter was often too painful to bare. Raising a girl was vastly different to a boy, he could be jealous of his sons but never his little girl. The king would've had to protect his daughter had she lived in a different way to his sons, no doubt chasing away any males that looked her way.

More screams came from inside, lightning crackling in the clouds.

Aslaug screamed again, to her it seemed as if nothing was moving forward since she'd been in labour for hours, "Ah! Get him out of me!"

"Just a little more, push Aslaug!" The midwife yelled back at the queen. The head was so nearly out. The whole house seemed to shake as the pregnant woman screamed again, her voice cracked as drops of sweat rolled down her body. Tears fell from her. eyes as she gave a final push.

It was silent for a second before a cry filled the room. The baby cried as it was wiped down and swaddled, being placed in Aslaug's arms just as the door opened and Ragnar burst in. A sight he would never tire from, his wife holding his baby in his arms.

Slowly he approached his wife who smiled tiredly, she handed the baby over without any protest, already begging for sleep. The midwife stepped forward, "Congratulations on your daughter, King Ragnar." The rest of the women had already left so she didn't waste a minute before shuffling out of the room.

Ragnar's electric blue eyes widened, his eyes staring at the door the woman had just left through. The man looked down at the baby in his arms and slowly unwrapped her, sure enough the baby was a girl. The baby wriggled in her father's arms prompting him to wrap her again, a feeling that he never thought he would feel again filled him. Holding his daughter for the first time was so different to holding his sons, it was like holding a piece of glass that could break at any second, kissing her forehead he made a promise that he would do everything in his power to protect her.

He walked over to Aslaug who rested gazing at her baby girl with nothing but love in her eyes, Ragnar leant down and kissed his wife on the forehead, "You have given me the greatest gift a man could ask for, thank you." The king breathed, eyes shining with unshed tears.

It seemed the other men couldn't wait as soon Rollo, Ubbe, Hvitserk and Bjorn who had Sigurd rested on his hip.

"Well?" Rollo asked his brother who was faced away from him.

Ragnar turned cradling the baby, although he didn't answer his brother instead turning to all four of his sons, "You have a sister." Rollo's eyebrows raised in surprise, quickly saying hello to his niece before leaving. Ragnar didn't expect any more of his brother.

The king leant down showed his daughter to his two young sons on the floor. Sigurd, with a fear of being left out tugged on Bjorn's arm resulting in him being let down. Bjorn kneeled down beside his father, watching the small baby.

"What is her name?" Bjorn asked over his three little brothers blabbering about the new baby.

"Tyra," Ragnar stroked his daughter's chubby face, "for the night she was born, Thor welcomed her into the world with a mighty battle." As if summoned she opened her eyes for the first time, an identical icy blue to her father coloured her eyes.

IMPORTANT - Tyra means 'Thor's Battle' and I thought it was fitting for a viking princess. also this was kinda short but for the first five chapters until I reach season 4B. Please comment or vote if you enjoy the story!