19

[ Between 4 x 16 - 4 x 17 ]

Unlikely Allies

Tyra didn't know how long they had been travelling for. It could've been weeks for all she knew. Cedric told her that the group continued to move so that his father's soldiers couldn't find them. Smart. But not smart enough. 

This group was leaving tracks all over the forest and they weren't exactly quiet. The noise didn't bother her though, if she tried hard enough, Tyra could almost imagine herself surrounded by her brothers and friends at home. Every time she closed her eyes their faces flashed behind her eyelids, a reminding force of what she had to live for. 

Björn, Ubbe, Hvitserk, Sigurd and Ivar. They were all that were left now, orphans in an unforgiving world and the only chance at survival was each other. Yet each day she was dragged around by Saxons and felt further and further away from her brothers. It was a terrible thing, a Lothbrok alone in the world. 

Luckily, the scarred man hadn't tried to make any advances. It seemed Cedric had become her  self-appointed body guard, he always seemed to be blocking the view with his body or sending glares that gave him a royal authority, even when in chains. Tyra would never admit that the Prince was growing on her, not ever, because that would be ridiculous. It wasn't as if if he was the only one she could talk too, oh wait...

The green-eyed man sat beside her now on the sand at the edge of the forest. A sea breeze fluttered through her hair which made her even more nostalgic and Tyra began to wonder when this would end. Would they escape? Or was it all false hope? 

"I know that look," Cedric spoke to her. Of course he knew her now, they were each others companions and an unwilling friendship began to form. The underlying attraction never being spoken of or acted upon, the last thing they needed was to isolate each other. 

Tyra scoffed and turned to face him to already find him looking at her. He did that a lot, watch her, often when he thought she didn't notice. She did. "What look? There's no look." 

"We're going to survive this Tyra, you'll see your family again." Those words had been on repeat for days, the blonde clung to them like a mantra. Tyra didn't return the statement, the first time she had tried Cedric had told her he didn't care much about seeing his family again, only returning her to hers again. That conversation hadn't been brought up again today. 

"I won't if we never escape from here," the blonde responded dryly. She raised an eyebrow to the man sat next to her, his shoulders and jawline were very impressive and she quickly averted her eyes before he caught her. "When will you realise that your father may not be quick enough. We could be dead by the time his soldiers find us." 

Cedric was used to her cynicism by now though it did seem to be getting worse, as did her dark humour. "I have faith in God that my father will not let us die."