17

[ 4 x 15 ]

[ 4 x 15 ]

All His Angels

Three days after their capture Tyra awoke fully. Her blue eyes snapped open and the blue sky greeted her. Tall trees framed the blue and for a moment all was still, that was until her other senses fell into place. There were male voices and the crackling of a fire, she couldn't understand them as usual.

Slowly she turned her head to the side, so subtly no one would notice. There were six men sat around the fire along with one woman. Tyra lifted her hand slowly and placed it on her stomach, she lay only in the leather wrap that covered her breasts and a pair of breaches. There was no bandage around her stomach, instead stitching about two inches wide lay just to the side of her belly button. There was no sign of bleeding which she counted as a good sign.

Her eyes looked around more and she lay on a mat on the forest floor. The Saxons were maybe fifteen feet away. Around her there were pots and pans, various elixirs and metal devices she had never seen before.

Out of all the voices she failed to hear the one she hoped, Cedric. He had saved her, she remembered falling in his arms and he held her, had he managed to escape and left her here? Most likely. He wouldn't stay to help her, she believed this much. Most importantly she needed to escape. Tyra wasn't blind to what men did to women, especially when they thought themselves above others. It was always the men with something to prove, maybe it made them feel stronger, she didn't know.

Her fingers ghosted over the tender flesh of the stitching and found that it was done rather well. There were more stitches there than she would have received at home for an arrow wound. Obviously they had a good healer. Though she didn't know how long she would be staying here, escape was the first thing on her mind.

She prayed to Odin silently in her head that Ivar was okay, if everything went according to plan he would already be on his way home. Tyra had to get back to her family, even if that meant sailing across the sea alone. She rolled onto her side facing away from the group, if they noticed her shuffle they didn't inquire further.

The forest was maybe ten feet away, she would have to sprint. Her body ached at the movement but even the thought of fleeing was enough to get the adrenaline flowing. It was time for action. When the sound of laughter filled the clearing Tyra pushed herself from the ground and began to sprint.

Yells followed behind her but she wasn't dumb enough to look behind her. Her lungs burned at the sudden exercise and speed, legs leaping over fallen rocks she ducked under branches and leaves. The heavy footfall of men followed behind her and Tyra ran faster. It could've been a bit rash to not wait a bit longer for a better chance of escape but she didn't think of that now, all she knew is that she wasn't tied down and would rather take her chances alone.