10

[ 4 x 12 ]

[ 4 x 12 ]

The Vision

Her mother was performing a sacrifice for the two outgoing travels. It was dawn and the whole village was awake, everyone dressed in special clothes or had painted faces. Her mother looked particularly terrifying, with black and red paint covering her whole face, the only light part were her eyes which seemed to glow in the light. A white net had been placed on her head and she held a clean silver sword in her hand ready to make the sacrifice.

Tyra herself stood in a clean white dress similar to that of her mothers, but instead of her whole face painted she had black paint which surrounded her eyes and fell down onto her cheeks like water had smudged it. Her blonde hair was braided into a ponytail which hung between her shoulders.

A young deer was led through the pathway of people, closing behind as people followed. It was gripped by the antlers by two men as they pulled it through the streets lit up by fire light. Men were chanting around the fire, including King Harald and Halfdan as they asked for the blessing of the Gods for their journey, Ragnar was nowhere to be seen.

Her brothers all stood further into the crowd dressed well, Tyra stood just a bit behind her mother, a beautiful and powerful princess who with one glance could make someones blood run cold. She could see her friends in the crowd and resisted the urge to smile at them, knowing her mother would berate her later for somehow dishonouring the Gods.

Agmuntr and Bjartr stood slightly in-front of Ulf and Brüna who were wrapped around each other. Tyra was waiting for the announcement that they were getting married, it wouldn't exactly be a surprise.

The chanting grew louder as the deer was lead to the bowls. First her mother raised the sword and slit its throat filling the bowl beneath its head with blood. Next, she cut its underbelly, blood rained down on the plate which ran off through grooves in the wood into smaller bowls where it was collected.

The religious men in white cloaks and dresses came and picked up the bowls, flicking the blood onto the crowd as they moved through the people as a blessing.

Tyra lined up next to her brothers as their mother came and dashed them with blood. The boats for each raid were also being anointed as Floki danced around flicking the red liquid onto everything.

Ivar who was sat at the end of the line dipped his hands into a bowl and dragged his fingers down his face leaving red trail marks all the way down. The youngest Ragnarsson didn't stop there as he leaned forward and drank the blood straight.

Once that was done people began to dance and pray to the gods. Everyone was everywhere, people were kissing in the street and a few men fought shirtless with each other, the religious men continued to anoint everyone they saw. Her brothers were each separated in the crowd, Björn stood with Torvi and his children looking serious so Tyra thought it best not to disturb them.