3

✰

It was a rare morning when fourteen year old Tyra got up before her brothers, but today she had incentive. When she was hunting in the woods the other day, as cliche as it sounds, the girl met a boy.

Holding her rabbit like it was her most prized possession (since she could finally prove to her family that she caught something), the boy had enraptured her in hunting techniques and skill in the forest. The boy, Ulf, was only two years older than her and didn't seem to spend time with the pretty young princess.

So that was why Tyra sat now at the table quickly shoving food in her mouth. Ubbe, Hvitserk and Sigurd gave her an odd glance when they sat down.

"Good morning brothers," Tyra grinned with her elbows on the table and taking a sip of water.

"Tyra," Hvitserk nodded at his sister, "how come you're up this early?"

"No reason," she shrugged at her brothers, putting down her glass and beginning to do a half up-half down with her hair now that she was full. When her hair refused to cooperate and Tyra began to grow frustrated, her eldest brother at the table, Ubbe, who was now 17, stood up and began to do his sisters hair.

After five minutes Ubbe was done, her blonde hair half down with small braids mixed in with a loose bun tying the hair away from her face. Quiet chatter filled the hall between the four siblings. Ivar had taken to spending days at a time with Floki deep in the woods, the thirteen year old boy grew increasingly angry as he got older, Sigurd never helped his relentless teasing about being a cripple.

When they were younger, Aslaug asked Floki to make Ivar strong, resilient, viking. True to his word, Floki took to raising Ivar now that Ragnar was gone.

Tyra excused herself from the table as she wanted to look perfect. She drew some black kohl to line her eyes accentuating the blue, and put on a nicer dress than usual with a few rings and arm bands. The girl smoothed down her hair suddenly feeling a rush of nerves, what if he didn't like her? But those were teenage worries and if the boy didn't like her then why did he invite her for a walk down by the boats?

The second youngest of Ragnar's children brushed down her dress and threw on her cloak before exiting her small room. The room was similar to her brothers in the way that it had a big bed, cupboard for clothes and a small bath. There wasn't anything else she really needed.

"You look nice, Tyra," Aslaug took a sip from her mead at the head of the table smiling at her daughter, "Going somewhere?"

"Yeah, just going to the fields with Björn." Tyra smiled innocently.

"Oh," Aslaug nodded, smile becoming slightly more forced. The queen didn't necessarily hate Björn, no, it was just that whilst Ragnar was here she always felt like he favoured his eldest son because of Lagertha. But that didn't matter now and Björn was her children's brother, it would be silly to keep them from each other. "Well have fun and be back for dinner."